Sign in with
Your question
Closed

should I delete a req file?

Last response: in Windows XP
December 19, 2010 4:34:10 PM

Hello,the hidden REQ file is $shtdwn$.req and is 788 bytes. Is this something I need to operate with or something I can delete to speed up my computer? The path is c:\f5e0b4a5f826ed2aef7b9c475493
thanks, Char

More about : delete req file

Best solution

a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 5:35:13 PM

I'm afraid that if you need to speed things up by retrieving 788 bytes of space, you're in trouble. It won't make a difference and those long name folders are best left alone.

Go to My Computer>Tools menu>View, tick to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and untick"Hide Protected System Files", click Apply, accept the warning and Ok your way out.

Go to the Windows folder and delete all the files which start with the $ symbol except the first one $HF_MIG$. Then, still in Windows, find the Software Distribution sub-folder, open the Download folder and empty it, then do the same to the Event Cache folder.

Download CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com and ATF Cleaner from http://www.atribune.org and use both to empty unwanted files. Each will find some the other cannot and will also empty the Recycle Bin.

Restart the computer and you might have gained as much as 4Gb. Defrag then restart again - miss out the Analyse stage, just go straight to Defragment. After that restart, start CCleaner up again and wander down the left hand pane until you see the Wipe Free Space option and tick that box. Run teh Cleaner - it will take some time then remove that tick so it doesn't do that job every time.

One more restart and you should run a bit faster.

a b \ Driver
December 20, 2010 12:53:34 PM

oscarsophie said:
Hello,the hidden REQ file is $shtdwn$.req and is 788 bytes. Is this something I need to operate with or something I can delete to speed up my computer? The path is c:\f5e0b4a5f826ed2aef7b9c475493
thanks, Char

I suggest you stop looking for random files to delete before you make your computer non-bootable.

If you want help with speeding up your computer, list your system specs and we can suggest some upgrades/changes.
Score
Related resources
December 30, 2010 1:26:52 PM

Best answer selected by oscarsophie.
Score
December 30, 2010 2:30:46 PM

Hi, I'm sorry if I asked too specific a question, or an inappropriate one. I've never posted anywhere before, so I wasn't sure what I could ask.
I also wasn't sure if my question posted, so I re-asked it.

Thanks for the helpful answers, Saga Lout. I'll try your advice.

As for hang-the-9's judgemental answer:

Nobody was "looking for random files to delete."
My brawny husband was playing on our slow old computer all by himself. When he accidently got into the c-drive, he started clicking on everything to get back out. By the time he called me for help, he had opened the folder with the hidden file. Since it had an unfamiliar file name, I wrote down the details & path, so I could find out exactly what it was and if we needed it.
I didn't know whether an REQ file was good or bad, or that 788 bytes wasn't a lot of space/speed; that's why I was looking for pro help.
Score
a b \ Driver
December 30, 2010 5:14:07 PM

oscarsophie said:

Thanks for the thanks :D  - there's no question too small or too large at Tom's. CCleaner will help keep the clutter down if you use it once every couple of weeks.
Score
a b \ Driver
December 30, 2010 5:15:57 PM

oscarsophie said:
Hi, I'm sorry if I asked too specific a question, or an inappropriate one. I've never posted anywhere before, so I wasn't sure what I could ask.
I also wasn't sure if my question posted, so I re-asked it.

As for hang-the-9's judgemental answer:

Nobody was "looking for random files to delete."
My brawny husband was playing on our slow old computer all by himself. When he accidently got into the c-drive, he started clicking on everything to get back out. By the time he called me for help, he had opened the folder with the hidden file. Since it had an unfamiliar file name, I wrote down the details & path, so I could find out exactly what it was and if we needed it.
I didn't know whether an REQ file was good or bad, or that 788 bytes wasn't a lot of space/speed; that's why I was looking for pro help.

Score
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2012 10:04:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!