Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • Asus
  • Gigabyte
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2008 2:59:14 PM

Im getting a new motherboard and i really want to overclock. Im either going to get a gigabyte board or an Asus, preferably a P5Q and i will most probably be getting one wirh a P45 chipset as i have no interest in having two laptops. But which manufacturer is better for ocing, or more specifically which board?

More about : overclocking asus gigabyte

November 5, 2008 3:02:51 PM

Peaks said:
Im getting a new motherboard and i really want to overclock. Im either going to get a gigabyte board or an Asus, preferably a P5Q and i will most probably be getting one wirh a P45 chipset as i have no interest in having two GPU's. But which manufacturer is better for ocing, or more specifically which board?

November 5, 2008 3:05:23 PM

oops........

1 - was meant to write GPU not laptop
2 - was tring to edit the message not quote it

my bad....very tired!!!
Related resources
November 5, 2008 3:34:35 PM

Look for Reviews on particular boards.
The difference is often from board to board.
And often some will do Duel or Quad better.
November 6, 2008 12:45:37 PM

Was thinking about one of these two:

Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...(Socket%20775)%20PCI-Express%20DDR2%20Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5 Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...(Socket%20775)%20PCI-Express%20DDR2%20Motherboard

Have heard good reviews about both. Have also heard that the P5Q is a little awkward in terms of fittings. For example, SATA ports get blocked with big GPU's and that the cooling pipes around the CPU socket make installing heatsinks that sit close to the CPU hard. I have the Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler.

Any thoughts?
November 7, 2008 1:31:19 PM

P5Q all the way, one of the best boards in that price range imo. Gigabyte are good, but not as reliable as asus in general.
November 7, 2008 4:39:59 PM

falcodakrzz said:
P5Q all the way, one of the best boards in that price range imo. Gigabyte are good, but not as reliable as asus in general.

And you basing this on what? Ever heard of UD?

Gigabyte makes some of the most reliable boards out there. They do lack some of the bells and whistles that the Asus boards do, but they do OC like crazy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- New Gigabyte P45 board
November 9, 2008 6:41:32 PM

Kaldor said:
And you basing this on what? Ever heard of UD?

Gigabyte makes some of the most reliable boards out there. They do lack some of the bells and whistles that the Asus boards do, but they do OC like crazy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- New Gigabyte P45 board

i had an asus, had bad luck with it, first one died after a few months, second one just didnt want to do anything so i got a gigabyte and was able to o/c my q6600 to 3.0 right out of the box :) 
also kaldor is that board basicly the same as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
seems the same with just one less pci-e 2.0
November 9, 2008 7:02:29 PM

falcodakrzz said:

i disagree, gigabytes boards are more reliable than asus (have had zero problems with my gigabyte had 2 rma 2 asus boards)
November 11, 2008 7:46:22 AM

this is interesting, before this post i had no question about the reliablility of either manufacturer. Thought they wereboth pretty decent, just wanted to know which on oced better. But now i am seriously questioning asus.

wahjahka it seems that the GA-EP45-UD3P is the model up from the GA-EP45-UD3R.

Dont really understand the naming behind the gigabyte boards. I take it:
EP45 is the chipset,
UD is the model?

If this is the case, which is better, UD or DS?
November 11, 2008 12:10:03 PM

Peaks said:
this is interesting, before this post i had no question about the reliablility of either manufacturer. Thought they wereboth pretty decent, just wanted to know which on oced better. But now i am seriously questioning asus.

wahjahka it seems that the GA-EP45-UD3P is the model up from the GA-EP45-UD3R.

Dont really understand the naming behind the gigabyte boards. I take it:
EP45 is the chipset,
UD is the model?

If this is the case, which is better, UD or DS?

i agree the names are kinda ehh. well the cupset is a p45, not sure why they put an e there but they do,
GA-EP45-UD3P: GA= gigabyte (im guessing thats it), EP45= p45 chipset, UD3P= model name

as for the difference between ud or us *I THINK* UD means ultra durable, us not sure about
November 11, 2008 1:00:06 PM

Yea that is what i was thinking, thaks tho, that clears it up. So would you say that UD is the best model from Gigabyte?
November 11, 2008 1:09:21 PM

Peaks said:
Yea that is what i was thinking, thaks tho, that clears it up. So would you say that UD is the best model from Gigabyte?

um from expirence no, since i own a ep45-ud3p now, havent tried any other model haha
but look up some reviews on each model and compare/contrast
November 12, 2008 12:40:03 AM

So are you saying its a bad board?
November 12, 2008 1:39:30 AM

Plasticjesus690 said:

is what a bad board?
November 12, 2008 11:00:31 AM

Plasticjesus690 said:

Do you mean the UD model baords? They clear are not bad boards, infact from what i have learned from this thread, they are very good for ocing and are very reliable, was just wondering if they are the best gigabyte boards because there are a number of other models.
November 12, 2008 1:41:21 PM

Peaks said:
Do you mean the UD model baords? They clear are not bad boards, infact from what i have learned from this thread, they are very good for ocing and are very reliable, was just wondering if they are the best gigabyte boards because there are a number of other models.

the ud borads are great, i purchased one, (ud3p) well do some reviews, go to googs (googs= google) and search best gigabyte mobo or something, this is my first gigabyte board soooo ya know
November 13, 2008 1:00:01 PM

I have a new question now, thought I would put it on the end of this thread!!

Would a board similar to say the GA-EP45-UD3P work well with the new i7 processors? I will probably be upgrading my CPU in the new year and will most certainly be going with these new chips, but i don't want to have to get a new motherboard again! I saw in another thread someone mention that you would have to wait and get a better motherboard to work with the i7's? Wahjahka, maybe you could shed some light on this?
November 13, 2008 1:09:36 PM

Yes, i7 is the new chip set, like LGA775, or AM2/AM2+ so if you can hold off with ur current system for 4-6 months until the new line of CPU's/MoBo's come out then do it. i say 4-6months because your not going to want to pay "bleeding edge" price's. Also 99% of the new i7 MoBo's will use DDR3 which price/gigabyte is ridiculous right now. As far as ur current delima goes i do not know what board is best for you, i have no prior experience with Gigabyte however i know that ASUS are tried and true, they have GREAT!!! bio's features, non-crash, E-Zflash. Whatever it is your going to go with make sure you get 100% solid state capacitors it will help with the stability while overclocking as well as the longevity of the board.

Hope this help's.
November 13, 2008 1:16:05 PM

x_2fast4u_x said:
so if you can hold off with ur current system for 4-6 months until the new line of CPU's/MoBo's come out then do it.

That's my dilemma right there. You say hold off till the new line of CPU's/MoBo's come out. Will current boards not support the i7's or not allow me to use them to their full potential?
November 13, 2008 1:32:15 PM

Peaks said:
That's my dilemma right there. You say hold off till the new line of CPU's/MoBo's come out. Will current boards not support the i7's or not allow me to use them to their full potential?

the current boards will not support core i7, they have a new socket, (socket 1366) its bigger then the 775 so it requires a new mobo (prob other reasons why too)
i think the x58 chipset is a new chipset coming out soon i think and that will support the new core i7, which are fast but pricy, im getting one in june, i get lots of money
November 13, 2008 2:14:04 PM

Oh right...thanks that helps me. Maybe I will wait then. There is no point in me getting a board at Christmas then having to get a new one in the new year because I want to upgrade my CPU! Sorry for all the questions, and I'm probably going off the original point of this thread but I take it the X58 is the new generation of X48 chips, will there be a P55 because I don't have much interest in crossfire, just want a strong mobo for ocing!
November 13, 2008 8:25:38 PM

Peaks said:
Oh right...thanks that helps me. Maybe I will wait then. There is no point in me getting a board at Christmas then having to get a new one in the new year because I want to upgrade my CPU! Sorry for all the questions, and I'm probably going off the original point of this thread but I take it the X58 is the new generation of X48 chips, will there be a P55 because I don't have much interest in crossfire, just want a strong mobo for ocing!

is the x58 a new generation of x48? my guess is yes, simply p35 to p45 so im guessing each generation goes up by ten, but i dont know of any p55 boards, but i actually am getting a new mobo for xmas simply cause i can and my mom is paying for it haha
November 14, 2008 8:17:05 AM

haha same, but the whole point of getting one for Christmas is so you wont have to get one another time, which leaves you more monies to get other things!!! Its really annoying because as it stands i have an Nvidia chipset and it sucks a** for ocing!!!

But to be honest its going to be ages till you can get new RAM, CPU and MoBo all newt gen for a nice price so I think im gonna go with you and get one at Christmas too. I have a Q6600 and they are pretty good at ocing, so that should go me good in the meantime!!
November 14, 2008 2:56:14 PM

Peaks said:
haha same, but the whole point of getting one for Christmas is so you wont have to get one another time, which leaves you more monies to get other things!!! Its really annoying because as it stands i have an Nvidia chipset and it sucks a** for ocing!!!

But to be honest its going to be ages till you can get new RAM, CPU and MoBo all newt gen for a nice price so I think im gonna go with you and get one at Christmas too. I have a Q6600 and they are pretty good at ocing, so that should go me good in the meantime!!

yea my 680i sucks at o/c :( 
im getting $1000 at least, so i should have enough money for all new the stuff