Sign in with
Your question

I7-860 CPU Cooler Suggestions?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 12, 2009 4:25:46 PM

I have bought a i7-860 Retail Boxed CPU this week at Micro Center for $229 which I believe is about the best price out there and am getting ready to buy an Asus P7P55D Motherboard and Corsair XMS3 4GB Kit as a combo deal at Newegg. I had already bought a Coolermaster CM 690 Case and a Coolermaster 700 Watt Modular Power Supply. When the Motherboard comes in I would like to install a better air cooler than the one that came with it before I install the Motherboard in my case.

I would like advice about a good cooler that will both cool as well as possible at a reasonable noise level and also fit my Asus P7P55D Motherboard and Coolermaster CM 690 Case.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:36:01 PM

^+1.

@OP: You'll have to wait a while for the manufacturs go get the LGA1156 brackets out. Only the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus comes with the i5 brackets right now AFAIK. The Core Contact doesn't have it yet.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:48:54 PM

OOPS! I am growing old disgracefully and sometimes I forget stuff. You mentioned reasonable sound levels. Here is a link to a good website with information about quiet fans and other quiet components:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Shadow703793 - We just had another thread about cpu heatsinks for the Intel LGA 1156 socket. I used the embedded search feature at frostytech.com to come up with more information:

http://www.frostytech.com/heatsinksearch.cfm?cx=partner...

I had to go through the entire results to find other heatsinks besides the new version of the CM Hyper 212
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 1:32:21 AM

dpeel said:
I have bought a i7-860 Retail Boxed CPU this week at Micro Center for $229 which I believe is about the best price out there

Does the price include tax? If not, how much is it with tax included?
m
l
September 13, 2009 7:33:40 PM

No.....Tax brought the total to $248.96 which is still about $50 cheaper than anyone else I've seen.
m
l
!