Computer randomly shuts off..

bjoseph04

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I just recently built a system using an AMD X2 6000+, 2GB GSKILL DDR800, Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, NVIDIA EVGA 8800GTS 512(G92), and I have 2 hard drives one a Seagate 320GB 7200 and the other is a 250 Seagate 7200.. Ok so first of all I installed win xp 64bit on the 320gig hard drive.. I installed all the drivers NVIDIA drivers, evga tweaking utility, chipset drivers ect.. I put WoW on this computer and I was using this one for awhile until I got my 250gb back from newegg.. has more cache so I want to use that. I played WoW on the 320GB hard drive perfectly for a week straight. I just yesterday put windows vista 32bit on my 250gb and installed every driver for that.. graphics ect.. When I'm playing WoW my computer shuts off after like 10 minutes of game play.. I unplugged the 320gb and have only the 250 setup to run now. The temps all check out my cpu is at 39C, the system temp is 34C, and my Vga card never gets over 52 with the fan speed turned up.. My power supply is a 585 watt one and I'm doubting thats the problem since it worked on my other hard drive.. I really dont know why one hard drive would play it well but the other wouldn't? This system is like 2 weeks old.. helpPPPP

bjoseph04

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I doubt its the PSU because it worked on the other hard drive perfectly never shut off... but the specs are 585 watt not sure how to read specs on it but on the top it says DC OUTPUT +3.3V, +5V, +12V1, +12V2, -12V, +5Vsomethin cant read
MAX A 36A, 36A, 19A, 20A, 1A, 2A

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I love people who have a cheap ass power supply and say "I doubt its the power supply, its 585 watts!". Its probably some piece of crap hec unit. You probably slowed your system down by moving to the the 250gb hard drive, you certantaly didnt speed it up (more cache doesnt really do anything). Out of curiosity, did you use the same wire from the power suppy? is it possible you went from a sata to a pata or you grabbed the wire from a differernt strand coming down?

What I am saying is, if you used a different wire, you may have grabbed one that is on the same 12 volt rail as the video card is on (they rarely tell you how the rails are set up). After 10 minutes of high draw, the power supply protections shut the thing off cause it cant keep up. It would be like an instant shut down, and i am guessing thats the type of shut down your experiencing.

this is just a theroy.

Spunks