Sign in with
Your question

New system for programming/gaming

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2008 3:35:31 PM

Hi,

I just found this forum, look nice!

Here is what I have so far. I would like to know if it looks good and if all is compatible. I am not very good in hardware!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz FSB 1066Mhz 8Mb LGA775
Asus P5N-E Sli Quad-Core with NVDia Nforce 650i SLI LGA775
Corsair XMS2 4gig Ram DDR2 800Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 PCI-E 512 Meg
Western Digital 320 gig Sata 3G
LG Dvd-Rw 20x
Case : NZXT Nemesis Elite Crafted Series Midtower
Vista 64bit
Thermaltake Purepower 600watts

What do you think for 1125$? I do not want to go over 1200$.
July 30, 2008 3:48:28 PM

You're mixing an Nvidia chipset with an AMD/ATI video card. Not a horrible thing to do (I did that with an Nvidia video card and Intel chipset) but not really recommended. In your case I would change your mobo to either of these chipsets: P45/X38/X48. The latter two are best if you intend to Crossfire later down the road.

I've become an antagonist against doors. They just seem to get in the way. Consider the NZXT Tempest as an alternative.

Maybe go for a 650 or 750W PSU from Corsair...

Other than that, I have no issues.
July 30, 2008 3:53:12 PM

The motherboard is ancient and a bad match for a Radeon card (SLI instead of CF) and with PCI-E 1.
The DVD drive has rip-lock, and you also haven't specified if it's IDE or SATA.
Also, you haven't specified what kind of $. US, Canada, Zimbabwe??? I'll assume US and give you newegg links.

I'd suggest an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (so you can add a second video card later if you fancy), a SH-S203N SATA burner, a Corsair 750TX PSU. Get an Antec 900, it's a steal at $70 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299&Tpk=P5Q%2bPro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750TX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154&Tpk=SH-S203N
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=Antec%2b900

Get the Q6600 OEM (not retail) and add a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler.

With all these changes, I think it's still under $1200. If you still can, upgrade the HDD to WD6400AAKS.

Related resources
July 30, 2008 3:57:41 PM

Thx

First of all I wanted NVIDIA stuff but after reading I saw that the Sapphire Radeon HD4850 PCI-E 512 Meg is pretty impressive for the money. So I changed the card.

Here is a picture of all details : http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4033/cpurz5.png

All price is Canadian (about the same of US..)

July 30, 2008 4:00:18 PM

OK, ignore my comment about Antec 900 at $70, you don't have access to Newegg in Canada.

Try www.ncix.com, it has good prices and does price matching too.
July 30, 2008 4:02:21 PM

Alright I'll check that, the mother board you suggest me is good for ATI and Nvidia? I am really confuse about the mother board.
July 30, 2008 4:07:05 PM

The one I suggested is good for ATI. It's a great match for that ATI Radeon HD 4850.

There's no motherboard that supports both ATI Crossfire and nVidia SLI. It would be nice, but I guess Intel/nVidia/ATI hate each other too much to work together on something like that. It would probably be very expensive too. Anyway, with two of those HD 4850 you're all set for a few years, and after that you'd need a new MB anyway because the latest CPUs will not be compatible with today's motherboards.
July 30, 2008 4:28:00 PM

I would strongly suggest 8gb of RAM and a 64-bit OS due to your programming requirement.

#1 - You want to be able to test your software under both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Most VM Software such as VMware I have tested require a 64-bit OS to run a 64-bit OS. However a 32-bit OS can run under either a 32-bit or 64-bit Host.

The Extra Ram is nice for running lots of VMs too.
July 30, 2008 4:46:12 PM

zenmaster, the ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 have only 2 slots for ram, I think the max is 4 gig of rams. I think it's enough to run a VMware for a WinXp32bit (I do not program games).

Thanks aevm, I'll have to check everything with all your suggestion. :) 
July 30, 2008 4:58:46 PM

Does the Antec Nine Hundred Mid come with fan controller?
July 30, 2008 5:19:33 PM

Nah, it has 4 slots. Two are black and you can hardly see them in images, but they are there. :) 

Very weird. The P5Q Pro supports 8 GB of RAM according to newegg and 16 GB according to NCIX. Either way, 4 sticks of 2GB each should work. Get 2x2GB for now and see if you're using lots of it. If you are, add 2 more sticks later. I suspect zenmaster is right. He usually is :)  It depends on what kind of programming you do, I guess. If it involves Visual Studio.Net 2008 then yeah, you need lots of RAM.

The Antec 900 fan controller - here's a quote from NCIX:

Quote:
Advanced cooling system:
- 1 top 200mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
- 1 rear 120mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
- 2 front 120mm special black TriCool blue LED fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs
- 1 side (optional) 120mm fan to cool graphic cards
- 1 middle (optional) 120mm fan to cool CPU or graphic cards

July 30, 2008 6:09:39 PM

You are so nice aevm to answer so well to all my question. Thanks!

I have read that the HD4850 is pretty good for the price but is really hot. You think I should get an extra 120mm fan (to fill up the optional slot)?
July 30, 2008 6:47:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about optional fans yet. Add them when/if you add the second video card.

Between Home Premium and Ultimate: choose Ultimate if you think the additional features will be useful to you. Here's the list so you can compare.
http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Windows-Vista-Home-Basic-vs-Home-Premium-vs-Business-vs-Ultimate-3.png

Personally, I'd find Fax & Scan useful and also the File encrypt, especially for things like account numbers or tax returns made with UFile or QuickTax.
The rest of the differences are mostly useful for an IT Admin on a LAN, IMO, and less likely to help a home user. But your needs may not be the same as mine.

July 30, 2008 10:46:52 PM

Few more question :) 

I got a call to a PC guy near of my house. He can't have P5Q Pro motherboard but could have P5Q or P5QC. What do you think?

And... P5QC have DDR3 should I go with DDR3 instead of DDR2?
July 30, 2008 10:49:32 PM

Hummm I think those P5Q car won't let me CrossFire later ...
July 30, 2008 11:45:19 PM

Right, those two MBs have only one slot for video. Ask him what he has based on P45 with two PCI-E x16 slots. Also what he has based on x38 or x48.

Are you in Ottawa by any chance? If you are I can give you some URLs from local shops. Some are pretty good.
July 31, 2008 11:49:21 AM

http://www.traffikpc.com/

Here is the store. It's from Montréal (Québec/Canada). They have great price, not all piece but shipping is free and they deliver at home without using PostCanada.

I'll check for the X38 or the X48!

I just noticed that the HD4850 from Diamond is at 189$ instead of 219$ for Sapphir! I think I can take Diamond... it doesn't really matter right?
July 31, 2008 12:54:21 PM

aevm you have recommended the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 to someone who is building a new PC. Do I need this king of Heatsink?
July 31, 2008 2:38:03 PM

Diamond is getting good reviews. I've never had a Diamond card myself but I'd trust them.

I recommend the HDT-S1283 to lots of people who are building a new PC for gaming. I don't recommend overclocking to people who will use their PC for work, because stability is more important there than speed. You don't need it. By the way, I looked at www.traffikpc.com. The only Q6600 they have is code BX80562Q6600. If you search for that at newegg you'll see it's the retail Q6600 (not OEM), and it comes with a heatsink and fan already.

If you're serious about Crossfire, then the best motherboards available in that store seem to be Asus P5E ($248) and Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 ($266). They're both out of stock. They don't have any x48 or P45 motherboards, very weird. I'm assuming you want them to assemble the PC for you, right? See if they're OK with you bringing your own motherboard, since they don't have the model you want. There's the GA-X48-DS4 here for example:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29821&vpn=GA%2DX48%2DDS4&manufacture=Gigabyte, $249, in stock

I looked at their PSUs too a bit. You could get the Silencer 610W for example, or the Silencer 750W, or a GameXStream 700W, or order a 750TX from NCIX.

July 31, 2008 3:02:16 PM

Ok but between the Gigabyte X48-DS4 and the P5Q Pro, you suggest me the Gigabyte one because X48 is better for Crossfire right? I have read somewhere in this forum that X48 increase by 50% performance instead of 10% with other board. So I might be more save with X48?

I try to build the best system that I can for the money and than I'll contact again TraffikPc.

What I am afraid of NCIX is that I never built a system myself. I think I can do it, but in my mind I think if I buy all piece from a more local store that if I have a problem that they could help me! NCIX won't help me I think ;) 
July 31, 2008 3:11:32 PM

I believe NCIX can build an entire PC for you if you want. I've never tried that but I remember reading about it. BTW, with NCIX you don't pay provincial tax (that's 8% PST in Ontario, I'm not sure about Quebec).

Maybe try to find another local store. For example in Ottawa there are about 10 I can think of. I'm guessing Montreal must have at least that many, it's a much bigger city.

The X48 offers full speed (PCI-E 2.0 slots at x16 each) in Crossfire, while the P5Q Pro only runs at x8 on both slots. From various articles I've read, my impression is that it matters a lot with HD 4850 cards at 1920x1200 or more. At 1680x1050 or less it seems to matter only in some games, like Crysis.
July 31, 2008 3:13:27 PM

Alright, thx for all information. I will tell you in few days my final decision :)  You are a great source of information and a very nice person. Thx a lot for all your advice.
July 31, 2008 8:03:00 PM

I am very confusing!

I just checked some benchmark and for the same price I can have Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB instead of the Quad... it looks about 20% faster in many benchmark.. what do you think? Should I keep the Quad because in future more application will be able to optimise it or I should stay away of Quad. Personnaly, I was thinking to go Quad because I plan to have this computer at least 5 years.

What is your suggestion?
July 31, 2008 8:43:46 PM

I'm voting for the quad. Reason #1 is because you also do work on the PC, and #2 is because you will use this CPU for a long time.

I'm a programmer myself, use a Q6700 at work, and I know it helps. I've got VS.Net, IIS, SQL Server and a few other things all running in parallel.

The longer you keep this CPU, the greater chances that software (including games) will catch up with hardware and start taking advantage of quads properly. All it really takes is a couple of game engines to be optimized, and the year after that lots of games will benefit.
August 7, 2008 11:15:49 PM

I am receiving slowly every part of the PC.

I have 1 questions concerning the Case.

I do not see where are the 3 speed switch for the fan, where are they?
August 13, 2008 11:58:03 AM

ok guys, I have put all piece together yesteday night.

Here is few question:

1- What does this PCI-E... I never use it... normal?[Êdit: I use it once in my HD4850] Anything else should I use it with it?

2- Does my ram is at the good place (2x2gigs)?

3- Is it normal that I have a bunch of wire like that? It's a mess!!! do not know what should I do.

4- In the manual I see "Cpu fan".... all fan of the Antec case is connected but not in those hole (connected in a cable from the Power Supply), normal?

5- For the Sata, I can use anyone if I am not using Raid, right?

6- I have used the HD audi cable instead of AC 97' because I have 5.1 surround system. Is it ok?
thx
August 13, 2008 4:09:52 PM

List the config you've got, because reading the whole thread takes time and even then it's not quite clear what you ended up with. I'm guessing that's the GA-X48-DS4 based on the picture.

1. It's normal to have unused PCI-E connectors, if you have a single video card and your PSU is designed to support two or more. No worries there.

2. RAM: use slots (1 and 3) or (2 and 4). That is, the yellow ones should be fine. Matching slot colors means the RAM will run in dual-channel mode, and you want that.

3. use some ties

4. I don't know. Hopefully somebody else can help us here.

5. Yes, any SATA port is good

6. I'm using a cable that came with my Z-5500 5.1 speakers, something with lots of RCA jacks. They call it "6-channel direct cable" IIRC.
It works fine. Some people say an optical cable would be better, but I didn't bother to buy one since I'm already happy with the way things work now.
August 13, 2008 4:44:57 PM

aevm said:
List the config you've got, because reading the whole thread takes time and even then it's not quite clear what you ended up with. I'm guessing that's the GA-X48-DS4 based on the picture.

1. It's normal to have unused PCI-E connectors, if you have a single video card and your PSU is designed to support two or more. No worries there.

2. RAM: use slots (1 and 3) or (2 and 4). That is, the yellow ones should be fine. Matching slot colors means the RAM will run in dual-channel mode, and you want that.

3. use some ties

4. I don't know. Hopefully somebody else can help us here.

5. Yes, any SATA port is good

6. I'm using a cable that came with my Z-5500 5.1 speakers, something with lots of RCA jacks. They call it "6-channel direct cable" IIRC.
It works fine. Some people say an optical cable would be better, but I didn't bother to buy one since I'm already happy with the way things work now.

Thx you

Yeah I ended with the X48 of Gigabyte that you told me with the q6600 and the hd4850 for the GPU. 2x2 gigs rams and the Corsair as PSU. I tool the Antec 900 too. Well, I think all your suggestion was good :) 

I'll post later when I will put power on that!
August 14, 2008 6:24:06 PM

Everything work fine, all is at 5.9 except the Ram that is at 5.6.

All fans run, Vista is installed.

Thank you for all.
!