Shanghai reaching partners this month, 2.7GHz entry model

Kari

Splendid
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8197.html
Shanghai reaching partners this month, 2.7GHz entry model
AMD is certainly on a roll. The confidence from Hector Ruiz leaving combined with the Shanghai development going faster than expected, have embiggened AMD employees. Mass production of Shanghai processors are well under way and we've been told that AMD is shipping out this month, and is doing everything it can to break onto the market before Intel does. The first Shanghai model is said to operate at 2.7GHz and work within the 95W envelope. This one should be out before the end of the month. A few weeks before Intel launches Nehalem

And a related story

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8202.html
Intel claims up to 50% gaming boost with Nehalem
Yesterday we served you some information on the upcoming Shanghai and Deneb processors from AMD. AMD is very confident that these will compete well with Intel's current and coming processors, but what we're wondering is how much they really know about Nehalem. We would be very surprised if they don't measure up to Core, but Nehalem may be another story. Intel is namely claiming that Nehalem will offer up to around 50% more gaming performance, and 40% better video performance; rendering, editing and conversion, when comparing Core i7-965 to Core 2 Extreme QX9770. This was from a document sent out by Intel, but it still adds to the tension we're feeling right now.

So 2,7GHz for entry model sounds promising but Intel claiming 50% boost sounds more like unfounded hype, the early game tests sure didn't show it :p
Interesting times, indeed. :D

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Mainly because Nehalem wasn't designed as a gaming chip? There are many server applications which the performance of Nehalem is MUCH greater than that of Core 2, i'll dig out the examples later. Although i do agree, there is no 50% boosts. Most i've seen (If i remember correctly) is a boost of 40% in a few applications, then again i could be wrong.

It's also good to see that AMD will actually have a quad worth considering if you want high performance, although imo they're still quite a way behind Intel's 45nm Quads. Although for confirmation of this we'll have to wait until all the new AMD CPUs are out and we can do some hardcore testing :)

I do agree though - very interesting times.

^Actually one thing does exceed 50%. Memory bandwidth. In fact a C2Q hits about 7GB/s memory read speeds while Nehalem was hitting 16GB/s-18GB/s.

Thats mainly the 192bit IMC and trichannel DDR3 but still.

As for the 50% gaming boost, it may be possible that its for the physics, particle and other calculations that CPUs tend to do which don't effect FPS as much but rather provide better results.

Kari

Splendid
yeah they were talking about gaming in the article, on the server side it really should give a nice boost, I've seen some of those benches as well. But not so much on games

^I think the gaming will be different this time. See the only articles I have seen all tend to have the same thing in common. They all have non final drivers or have no drivers.

Normally you would think this wouldn't affect the gaming but it does. Older Intel chipset drivers (S487 support) had the drivers needed to run AGP 2.0 at full 8x. Without them games would suffer a lot.

The same is for Nehalem. They have a PCIe controller driver for full x16 speeds as will as the QPI links. So without the drivers being good or not being present gaming will suffer.

Maybe the drivers they have now are good and able to install correctly giving the true gaming performance of Core i7. Time will tell right?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
This was from a document sent out by Intel, but it still adds to the tension we're feeling right now.
Uh...then why not show this document that shows a 50% increase in gaming, and 40% increase in other applications?

I will believe it when I see it, for either story, otherwise this is nothing but rumors and speculation.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

perhaps the games that intel has access to (beta and alpha versions) take advantage of 8 threads and that is what they are benchmarking their performace on.
since they are are in beta and alpha state Intel can't release any benchmarks to show this due to NDA.

time will tell...

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I would personally like to see REAL WORLD benchmarks before I ride the speculation highway (ie Phenom outperforming C2D hype), however AMD still leads the performance per $ segment.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I guess this is your new angle, motherboard prices... :pfff:

First, it's Fud you are using as your main source. That alone should already be taken with a huge block of salt. Second, all new technology from Intel is usually priced higer than MSRP when first released. That's nothing new. Intel DOES NOT control the price of motherboards.

There are people willing to pay up to $300 for an X48 motherboard now...you don't think they will get an X58 for $300-400? That's their business. I personally will wait for lower priced i7 motherboards. Probably the P58 type mobo.

But keep on pushing how the price of mobos will be so high. If it's the only thing you can think of to make i7 look bad.

:pfff:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What makes you think I want it to look bad? I heard a few months ago that the mobos would be nearly astronomical. That's all the post was about. Sarcasm about a 50% increase.

Why so serious?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

What makes me think you want it to look bad? Because you have said, several times, that you don't like Intel. You would never buy any Intel products, and you have have always enjoyed posting anything that would make Intel look bad. That's why. Anyone who knows what you like to post about knows this is nothing more than a futile attempt to make a company you dislike, look bad. Period.

Serious? Haha. Sure...I'm soooo serious about this.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

images

BM, you need to stop. You are using a very unreliable source that you would never use if it was AMD, you are trying to spread FUD about Intel like always and are acting insanley like a fanboy, much more than usual.

Please just stop.

Hees not so much a troll as he is a annoyance. He leaves here when people don't agree with him that AMD is the godsend of CPUs then comes back only to talk down about Intel or to post crap like he does.

Oh well what ya gonna do.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Actually I think BaronMatrix and Thunderman understood a long time ago that there is no reason to remain logical and sane in this forum.

If someone posts something PRO-AMD with a perfectly good link to a source they will be flamed just as much as if they post garbage.

So they figure why not just post everything and be totally ridiculous. (Regardless of the source.)

^says the man who has rarely ever IF ever posted a link or source to provide proof.

Thunderman came on that way. BM is just trying to spread FUD. The link he posted shows prices from the UK with price gouging and hughe taxes added on.

So how does that help a person? And even though he knows this and knows that pricing on mobos starts high and is normally set by the mobo maker, why is it that him pushing it on is helpful in any way at all?

Oh thats right. Its not.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
and because of BM we have now gone off topic...

Not a troll? seems that way myself...
to me he is furniture... I don't respond to my furniture...

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Their posts are just as acceptable as many, if not most, of your posts.

The sad part is you "feel justified" so you honestly don't realize when you are being completely ridiculous. (And having other fans "back you up" doesn't make your opinion any more correct.)

In THIS thread he has a point: The new MB will be more expensive. Spin it all you want but if you think they'll be cheaper you are most likely in for a world of disappointment.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Based on one UK vendor. Also, there are X48 boards that are just as expensive, pushing close to $400, yet not a peep about those boards. Why? Hmmm...Do a Google search for X58 mobos and you see a few boards being offered for under $300. Will it stay that way? Who knows...the simple fact is BM just wants to point a finger at ONE UK store, and claim it's the price the boards will carry from every other vendor. So, I guess, this UK store is the "standard" bearer for all motherboard pricing from now on, right? :pfff:

Acceptable to YOU. Not to the majority. Big diference.

I don't need t feel justified when I can point out blaitant FUD. Hell this could be wrong. Its still a few months before we even see anything.

No this thread was about Shanghai and nehalem ststing 50% gaming performance gain, not anything about what BM posted. He even created his OWN thread for that.

As for the MB, every mobo that comes out at first the highest end hits first for the most money. This is normal. Then follows lower end versions and then revisions of each one, normally with better stability, compatability and so on.

So what you are doing is defending a point of what happens in the UK and defending BM when he is trying to point this at Intel when Intel does not control the mobo manufatures pricing or the extra tax that is hit in the UK or the insane price gouging that is being done by the etailers.

Why? Why do you defend that as acceptable? There is no reason to. You always stated you just prefered AMD. But it seems to me that you are like BM and don't like Intel and would rather defend blatant crap then just agree with everyone else here who knows this is crap. Hell even people who live or have lived in the UK agree that this is just the insane price gouging and insane taxes both of which are not controlled by Intel or the mobo maker.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Actually I was more pointing out that most of what you post is trash. But go ahead and spin it... it's an election year.