Building new PC, can anyone see any problems with it?

Adz85

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I'm putting together a new PC. My main question is what you think of the mobo. I want to spend around $150 AUD (140 US, also no rebates as I cant buy from newegg :( )

E8400 CPU
1x 4850 (with possibility of another a bit further down the track)
HX-530 (530W) PSU
4GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
and the motherboard..... which is the main issue for me and taken the longest to settle on.... Gigabyte EP45-DS3

I'm not looking to overclock anything

thanks in advance

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
If you're seriously planning on slapping another 4850 in there further down the line, it would be best to get an x38 or x48 mobo for the full 2 x 16 PCI-E.

These boards end up being a bit more expensive, and I don't really know all the different brands and models, but it sounds like an x38 would be best for you since it's cheaper and you're not overclocking.

Just look a few up, see if you can get any good prices and post back here.

If you just need to save money, then that board you have there is good, but you won't get optimal performance when you have 2 video cards.

The motherboard is fine. Also look at the P5Q Pro, if you want. An X38 or X48 (GA-X48-DS4 for example) would be better but more expensive and the difference is only important on 24" monitors or larger.

You need a bigger PSU for Crossfire. Can you find a Corsair 750TX where you live, for example?

Get a case with very good cooling, because two HD 4850 cards generate a lot of heat and they don't have vents to push the air directly out. Look at NZXt tempest, RC-690, Antec 900, etc.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Personally I would stick to a single card solution, it is cheaper over all (motherboard/PSU) and by the time you add another VGA card you could just get one that’s better then both yours combined.

If you are definitely going to crossfire I would go for an X48 myself And an Antec 1200 / 900--> there beautiful and cooling monsters.

darckeen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I've been looking into the P45s quite a bit and I'd recommend going with one of the ones from Asus. They seem to be the one best recieved by overclockers and good overclocking board = an excellent stock speed board, plus a well recieved board = good manufacturer support down the line. I'm thinking the P5Q vanilla for myself but theres the pro which is getting most of the fanfare for $20 more.

CPU and RAM are fine. If possible do get an X48 if planing to run at high resolutions with CrossFire.

You want a bigger PSU. I recommend PC Power & Cooling 750 or Corsair 750. If not doing CrossFire get a PP&C 610 or a Corsair 550.

Adz85

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Hmmm, grieve, you might be right. If I were to stick to a single 4850 card and the same price range, what would be the mobo recommendation then?