Sign in with
Your question

Move/delete folders in "Program Files" as limited user?

Last response: in Windows XP
December 20, 2010 11:54:28 AM

Hello.

I have a little question and would be happy if anyone know the answer to this. I have 2 user accounts on my computer, one admin account and one limited user. I am usually logged in on the limited user account. I Use Windows Xp professional. Now, if i want to remove or add files to a specific folder in "Program files" i can't do that when logged in on the limited user account. I then have to switch user, log in as administrater and do it from there. I wonder if anyone knows if there is a way to go in on "My Computer" as administrator, but from within my limited user account.

Thanks in advance.
December 20, 2010 5:45:11 PM

Thank you for the answer, but i can't figure it out. How do i do it the "menu opton" way that you talked about?
Related resources
December 20, 2010 6:57:03 PM

Ive not heard of a way in like that. The limited user account is a saftey feature, which is why you have to log in as administrator to make changes which could affect the working of your pc
December 20, 2010 7:12:37 PM

WindowsExp said:
Thank you for the answer, but i can't figure it out. How do i do it the "menu opton" way that you talked about?

Here you go. "Run as Adminitrator" is definitely the way to do what you want to.
December 22, 2010 12:48:03 PM

The menu option (when you right-click on a file to get the menu list) normally only comes up for .exe files. There is a registry hack that can add it for any file though. I usually use the command line version of this to start applications as an admin. For example, a user does not have rights to end a task that is hung up. Instead of needing to log them off (lets say they have a ton of work open and can't save it), you start a .cmd session as an admin using runas, then start Task Manager from that .cmd session, and Task Manager will start up with admin rights instead of the user actually logged on the system.
!