Upgrade query: Keep X6800 or...?

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Im wondering if I should upgrade cpu, upgrade cpu cooler, or not upgrade at all. Right now I have a X6800 with zalman 9700. I have it running at 3666 @1.475 bios. Idles ~44C with room temp of 21C (48C with 24C room temp). Im planning on upgrading CPU/GPU this winter and I want to know other people's opinions. Right now I have 8800GTX SLI, but because my X6800 is rather warm, I think it might be to blame for some of the slow downs I've been getting. Do I upgrade the CPU to a cooler running 45nm ~E8600 for 200-300$ or should I buy a Corsair H50 (H20) cooler for only ~80$? I am planning on buying 285 SLI during this winter's price drop.

Solution
Nope your CPU is plenty powerful. Personally i'd leave the CPU, and just do the graphics card upgrade.

My Q6600 at 3.2ghz idles around 49-50C with all fan settings on low, i think your temps are fine. How is it under load for temperatures?

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Nope your CPU is plenty powerful. Personally i'd leave the CPU, and just do the graphics card upgrade.

My Q6600 at 3.2ghz idles around 49-50C with all fan settings on low, i think your temps are fine. How is it under load for temperatures?

Solution

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
If you're really worried, try lowering your OC a bit, say 3.2ghz or even 3.4ghz. And at the same time lower your voltage, it's actually really high. That will greatly reduce your temps.

Also you could try OCCT, and set the max temp to say...75C. IF your temps go up that high it'll stop as soon as it does, that way you don't burn out your chip :) OCCT will heat things up the same as Prime95's small FFT test.

I used to have that exact board and i found 3.2ghz with an 8x multiplier giving me a rated fsb of 1600mhz worked the best. I never had any stability issues. Reason i mention this is that board can have some weird symptoms at certain fsb settings. So if you do try my first suggestion you have a possible good setting :)

Either way if your temps never exceed 71C during heavy use, other then stress tests, then your temps are acceptable. I wouldn't worry about it.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
LMAO, i'm sorry your reading isn't up to par. He asked if he *should* upgrade, not if he *could* upgrade. He inquiry was based entirely on the subject of heat, not support.

And reading his sig at the bottom of his post requires no clicking at all. Seriously...

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Should or could, whats the friggin difference.

should
Use should in a Sentence
–auxiliary verb
1. pt. of shall.
2. (used to express condition): Were he to arrive, I should be pleased.
3. must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): You should not do that.
4. would (used to make a statement less direct or blunt): I should think you would apologize.

could
Use could in a Sentence
–verb
1. a pt. of can 1 .
–auxiliary verb
2. (used to express possibility): I wonder who that could be at the door. That couldn't be true.
3. (used to express conditional possibility or ability): You could do it if you tried.
4. (used in making polite requests): Could you open the door for me, please?
5. (used in asking for permission): Could I borrow your pen?
6. (used in offering suggestions or advice): You could write and ask for more information. You could at least have called me.

If his board doesn't support 45nm processors then he SHOULDN'T OR COULDN'T.
Correct, but i should point out he never asked if his bored can support 45nm processors. He asked our opinion whether or not he should exchange processors in the interest of running a cooler machine. If you notice, in the same sentence he asked whether to upgrade to a cooler running 45nm processor OR upgrade his heat sink. See the connection?
How would we know if your motherboard supports 45nm processors?? Are we supposed to have a crystal ball or something? You've told us nothing about your motherboard.
So saying this makes no sense. The poor OP.

....and there is no signature visible to me that doesn't require clicking his member configuration.
Really? Hmm, must be a profile setting. I apologize for my prior assumption regarding that matter. I should mention though, if you were more proactive this altercation wouldn't be happening. So in your effort of laziness, you've created more work for yourself.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I can't seem to connect to it right now, but FrostyTech.com might have the comparison you need.

Keep in mind what Shadow said, the H50 is a don't buy. Your Zalman is a good cooler already.

TRENDING THREADS