Is this software RAID or hardware RAID?

It is a $29 controller card, with a dog slow SIS chipset, that apparently ships with an outdated stripped down BIOS. Read some of the reviews :) Wow, I did not realize there were so many ways to describe a genuine piece of crap without actually saying it.

It says "software RAID" in the description, and at that price I have absolutely no doubt that it is...

The card is hardware, but the hardware just provides a couple of SATA ports. I assume that you can get a device driver that does RAID for the card, much like the drivers for Intel's ICH10R chipset.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You would be better off using the integrated intel stuff. I use something similar to that card for my optical drives and I would not trust my data on a raid with something like that. If you want hardware raid you have to spend $$$ and by the time you add it all up you might be better of with an SSD if speed is what you're after.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Nice one. That's what they called "beating around the bush". :p

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
But sometimes hardware RAID is an undesired feature. If you want a safe system you may want to use OpenSolaris ands ZFS. If you want to ensure stability you may want to disable the hardware raid features as they only cripple the safety routines in the ZFS.