Differences between WinXP Home and Pro?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,
can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and Pro
editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to Windows
XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices on
this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses work,
programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
what are the main differences.

Thanks

ThunderMusic
13 answers Last reply
More about differences winxp home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thunder,

    have a look here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    Yes, you can purchase an upgrade from home to pro anytime. I would recommend
    to go for Pro, to avoid any further complications during upgrade.
    --
    JonyBrv

    "ThunderMusic" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and Pro
    > editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
    > interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
    > Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to Windows
    > XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices on
    > this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses work,
    > programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
    > what are the main differences.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ThunderMusic

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    If you plan now or at any point in the future to be connecting this system
    to a domain then go for Pro. BTW if you are going for the Upgrade version of
    Pro you should check to ensure you are getting an actual (not simply a
    Restore CD) of XP Home with that system if you want to be able to use the XP
    Pro Upgrade to do a clean install.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ThunderMusic" <NOdanylat@sympatico.caSPAMATALL> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and Pro
    > editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
    > interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
    > Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to Windows
    > XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices
    > on
    > this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses work,
    > programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
    > what are the main differences.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ThunderMusic

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    hi,
    I have 2 questions about the features not included in Windows XP Home...

    * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored
    on disk using the NTFS file system.

    Does this mean I'll have to use FAT32 or the NTFS is still available?

    * Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and
    other resources.

    Does this mean I can't set access rights to some forders or file depending
    on the user like I did in other Windows?

    Thanks

    "Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > Thunder,
    >
    > have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    >
    > Yes, you can purchase an upgrade from home to pro anytime. I would
    recommend
    > to go for Pro, to avoid any further complications during upgrade.
    > --
    > JonyBrv
    >

    > "ThunderMusic" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and
    Pro
    > > editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
    > > interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
    > > Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to
    Windows
    > > XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices
    on
    > > this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses
    work,
    > > programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
    > > what are the main differences.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > ThunderMusic

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ThunderMusic wrote:
    > hi,
    > I have 2 questions about the features not included in Windows XP Home...
    >
    > * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored
    > on disk using the NTFS file system.

    You can still use FAT32, these options will be disabled on those drives.

    > Does this mean I'll have to use FAT32 or the NTFS is still available?
    >
    > * Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and
    > other resources.
    >
    > Does this mean I can't set access rights to some forders or file depending
    > on the user like I did in other Windows?

    On Pro you get a list of users with check boxes to modify/delete/write
    any file folder or printer. On Home you can either have every accessing
    your stuff, or just you.

    In essence, home has a few lines of code commented out, and doesn't come
    with any web servers.

    --
    Marc
    Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..

    > > * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are
    stored
    > > on disk using the NTFS file system.
    >
    > You can still use FAT32, these options will be disabled on those drives.

    ok, and what about NTFS? can I still use it?

    Thanks for all the answers

    "Marc" <see@signature.url> a écrit dans le message de
    > ThunderMusic wrote:
    > > hi,
    > > I have 2 questions about the features not included in Windows XP Home...
    > >
    > > * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are
    stored
    > > on disk using the NTFS file system.
    >
    > You can still use FAT32, these options will be disabled on those drives.
    >

    > > Does this mean I'll have to use FAT32 or the NTFS is still available?
    > >
    > > * Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and
    > > other resources.
    > >
    > > Does this mean I can't set access rights to some forders or file
    depending
    > > on the user like I did in other Windows?
    >
    > On Pro you get a list of users with check boxes to modify/delete/write
    > any file folder or printer. On Home you can either have every accessing
    > your stuff, or just you.
    >
    > In essence, home has a few lines of code commented out, and doesn't come
    > with any web servers.
    >

    > --
    > Marc
    > Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:11:03 -0400, ThunderMusic wrote:

    > hi,
    > I have 2 questions about the features not included in Windows XP Home...
    >
    > * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored
    > on disk using the NTFS file system.
    >
    > Does this mean I'll have to use FAT32 or the NTFS is still available?

    You can use either file system in Home. What's not available in Home is EFS
    (requires NTFS and Pro version of XP).

    > * Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and
    > other resources.
    >
    > Does this mean I can't set access rights to some forders or file depending
    > on the user like I did in other Windows?

    Home uses Simple File Sharing (share/no share; no other apparent options).
    Pro, is initially setup with Simple File Sharing but this can be turned off
    within normal Windows mode. With Simple File Sharing turned off, you'll get
    a more in depth screen for setting sharing parameters and permissions. The
    same screens are available in Home BUT you have to boot to Safe Mode to
    access them.

    One of the remote options is XP Pro only as well. I think Remote Desktop.
    This could be important to you on a work laptop that goes between home and
    work so may want to check out that feature more in depth as well.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    The user access to most every partition, folder, and file is ridiculous in
    Home Edition. The filesystem, NTFS, is there. But, one cannot exercise all
    its assets regarding security.
    There's a backdoor in safe mode to the default administrator, in Home
    Edition at least. So, if you find your kiddies doing things that you
    thought you fixed, guess they found the backdoor.

    "ThunderMusic" <NOdanylat@sympatico.caSPAMATALL> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and Pro
    > editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
    > interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
    > Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to Windows
    > XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices
    on
    > this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses work,
    > programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
    > what are the main differences.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ThunderMusic

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ThunderMusic wrote:

    >>>* Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are
    >
    > stored
    >
    >>>on disk using the NTFS file system.
    >>
    >>You can still use FAT32, these options will be disabled on those drives.
    >

    > ok, and what about NTFS? can I still use it?
    >
    > Thanks for all the answers

    Yes, there is no difference in the core functionality of Home and Pro.
    Both can use NTFS.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    thanks for the advice on the backdoor... ;) will sure help in case it
    happens

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > The user access to most every partition, folder, and file is ridiculous in
    > Home Edition. The filesystem, NTFS, is there. But, one cannot exercise
    all
    > its assets regarding security.
    > There's a backdoor in safe mode to the default administrator, in Home
    > Edition at least. So, if you find your kiddies doing things that you
    > thought you fixed, guess they found the backdoor.
    >
    > "ThunderMusic" <NOdanylat@sympatico.caSPAMATALL> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > can somebody tell me the main differences between Windows XP Home and
    Pro
    > > editions? beside the network domain thing, is there anything of any
    > > interest? Because I plan to get a laptop and they are all provided with
    > > Windows XP Home and I wanted to know if I should get the update to
    Windows
    > > XP Pro or if I stick with the Home edition. Can somebody give me advices
    > on
    > > this please? btw, I plan to use this computer mainly for businesses
    work,
    > > programming and all that, so nothing too complicated, but I want to know
    > > what are the main differences.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > ThunderMusic

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    thank you very much for the information.

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> a écrit dans le message de

    > > stored

    > >>You can still use FAT32, these options will be disabled on those drives.
    > >

    > > ok, and what about NTFS? can I still use it?
    > >
    > > Thanks for all the answers
    > >

    > Yes, there is no difference in the core functionality of Home and Pro.
    > Both can use NTFS.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ThunderMusic wrote:
    > hi,
    > I have 2 questions about the features not included in Windows XP Home...
    >
    > * Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored
    > on disk using the NTFS file system.
    >
    > Does this mean I'll have to use FAT32 or the NTFS is still available?

    Both WinXP Home and WinXP Pro can read/write FAT12 (the file system
    used on 3.5" diskettes), FAT16, FAT32, CDFS (the file system used on
    most CDs), and NTFS with equal facility.

    > * Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and
    > other resources.
    >
    > Does this mean I can't set access rights to some forders or file depending
    > on the user like I did in other Windows?

    No, but it's somewhat more difficult in WinXP Home; you'd have to
    reboot into Safe Mode and use the built-in Administrator account.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ThunderMusic wrote:

    > thank you very much for the information.

    You're welcome

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User