[SOLVED] Advantages of mineral oil computer system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Disadvantages I can think of off hand, is that using the parts will be a pain in a different comp will be a pain, if there is a way to fully clean them at all (and if you have the patience). The idea of moving your comp to a friends house for that oddball lan party or just around the house may prove quite difficult.

Beyond that there are others, but quite frankly I personally can't justify the time and price involved with this. With getting a leak proof tank for it, the mineral oil (and making it look good as i hate to have an ugly machine lying around). And personally probably some decorations like those little treasure chests you put in the fish tanks that open up and shoot out bubbles, by the time someone like be done done I don't...

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
it's called liquid cooling, and basically, it's one of the most quiet computer setups you can have. Also heavy and expensive too, but it's another heat dissipation method used in overclocking.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Disadvantages I can think of off hand, is that using the parts will be a pain in a different comp will be a pain, if there is a way to fully clean them at all (and if you have the patience). The idea of moving your comp to a friends house for that oddball lan party or just around the house may prove quite difficult.

Beyond that there are others, but quite frankly I personally can't justify the time and price involved with this. With getting a leak proof tank for it, the mineral oil (and making it look good as i hate to have an ugly machine lying around). And personally probably some decorations like those little treasure chests you put in the fish tanks that open up and shoot out bubbles, by the time someone like be done done I don't want to know the cost of it all.

Solution

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

How so? It's not harmful unless you have too much, including too frequently. It's sometimes ingested to help with constipation. It's also good for cleaning your ears. Plus it's completely benign.

Though, i'd never eat it with food, it'd taste like crap.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
mineral oil isn't like say peanut oil, or vegetable oil, or olive oil, soybean oil. Maybe you guys should check out what happens when something is changed when heated up. They also use to tell people to eat radium too, but we know what happens with that stuff don't we. And maybe before insulting someone, you should have studied chemistry more.

richardscott look up 5 post ago.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
mineral oil makes up 95% of baby oil and trust me if your willing to smother your baby in it im quite sure its non toxic.

And lol for fractional distillation i dont think the oil will quite get that hot. oh and oil doesnt change when you heat it :p all you can do to it is saturate double bonds but that takes alot of heat

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

thanks but i can stick up for my self :D

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
none of you dumbasses know anything about mineral oil so please simmer down with the stupid haha funny jokes.

there are not too many advantages to mineral oil besides the fact that its simply an awesome way to liquid cool ALL your computer parts without having to worry about shorting things out or tubing. its completely safe and all the benchmarks i have seen do not show fans going out. if you have the time and money sure why not. i work in IT and we are thinking about doing something like this just to show off a neat little computer to the students on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.