pcie x16 at x1 question

Hi,
I am currently building a system for a friend of mine. Graphics are not a big priority for him right now. I bought a Biostar NF61V mobo off ebay (haven't tested it yet, let's hope it works). It has integrated GeForce 6100, which is fine for him right now. I noticed, however, that the pci express x16 only operates at x1. I was thinking about selling him my 8600GT when I finally decide to upgrade, but just how much is that x1 link width going to hold it back? I actually have 8600GT's in both of my pc's, one running at x16 and the other at x8 and I can really see no noticeable difference. Just how bad is it going to be at x1? And what card would you folks recommend for the best performance at x1? I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks a lot.
4 answers Last reply
More about pcie question
  1. 1x is a substantial decrease in performance. there was an article on that same question a while ago but i will never find it.

8x on pci-e is acceptable, on pci-e2 its more than enough.
  2. x8 pci e 2 is roughly equivalent to x16 pci e 1
  3. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2-0,1915-9.html

x1 is sufficient if you're not going to game much. You can still game on it even, but it's not going to be all that great.
  4. thanks efeat, thats what i mentioned.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics