captain_anonymous_2003

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Hi,

First I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but I didn't know where else to put it. First I will give you my system specs

Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz
Asus P5K-E motherboard
4GB Ram rated to 1066MHz
Windows Vista 64x
Asus Xonar PCI Soundcard
9800 GTX+
Blu-Ray Drive

The issue I am having is quite strange, when playing music or DVDs I get the odd static blip.. It appears to be fairly random, and it is not continuous.. It's a sound similar to a static shock you get from a car body but through the speakers.. It's a static blip sound, quite loud, like a snapping sound.. it's fairly instantaneous in nature and appears to be random... perhaps every minute or two minutes in a movie... sometimes less.. sometimes more..

It's very annoying when you're watching a movie and it keeps blipping every minute or so.. As I said before the sound seems to work perfectly fine, and there is no distortion in the audio at all, but this annoying blip every now and again. It appears to be doing it for all sound; movies, music, games.. Initially I thought it might be a driver issue with the soundcard, so I updated those (originally I was using onboard sound)... this made no difference.. Then I thought it may be a hardware issue with the onboard sound, or perhaps an incompatibility, however since replacing the onboard sound (and of course disabling it) with the Xonar card, it has still made no difference.. I still get this annoying blip..

The movie or game does not pause, it does not stop, the music doesn't pause.

I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this.. I really don't know what the issue is.. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated..

Regards...

Craig

Welcome to the fourms!

Have you tried any other speakers or headphones with your system?
What was the original sound card with the issues, also a Xonar?
Do you have a low end PSU that could be fluctuating the voltage to your sound card?
Do you have a cellphone or any other device that can cause interference with your speakers sitting near your speaker cables?

Try using the onboard sound and see if it still makes the static noises.
If it does, try another set of speakers.
If the static clears up after switching to the onboard sound, RMA the Xonar with ASUS.

captain_anonymous_2003

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for the reply outlw6669... I appreciate what you're saying but it's nothing to do with the speakers or the soundcard.. it's definitely something else.. the system does it with onboard sound and also the Xonar card.. I bought the Xonar card thinking it was an incompatibility issue with vista 64x.. but it's not made a difference.. the sound isn't interference of any kind.. not on the output speakers or from a mobile... it's a static sound that's actually being generated as an output.. it's like the kind of sound you would get if you got a static shock from a metal railing.. or from a car body.. It is random.. I can play movies.. and music.. no problem.. but just have to put up with this static blip all the time and as I am sure you can imagine.. during a quiet film it's very intrusive and annoying..

The PSU I bought is a high spec high power supply.. I don't believe it's that but I understand your suggestion.. I neglected to include that information in the original post..

I've tried codecs.. I've tried lots of things nothing seems to work.. I've not tried a 32 bit OS yet.. but I do wonder if in this case with XP32 it would go away.. but it shouldn't do it in this setup.. which is vista 64x.. and of course if I downgrade to 32bit my 4GB ram is useless..

Regards..

Craig

captain_anonymous_2003

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Ok.. there has been a development.. when playing DVDs there is a static blip noise.. when playing some games it seems fine in others there are serious issues with sound.. when I installed Brothers in Arms.. the sound cut out totally at one point.. then LOTs of static.. then eventually came back.. it would do this periodically.. during play.. AND.. it seems to not be a OS issue.. it did the exact same thing with XP32bit.. (now running Vista 64 bit)...

It seems it's with either onboard sound or Asus Xonar now too.... makes no difference so I am assuming the soundcard is not faulty.. The motherboard seems like it's the cause? ASUS P5K-E Deluxe with the WIFI.. has anyone had this kind of problem before? If so is it just a case of, replace the mainboard?