1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I am concerned that my computer is running abnormally hot. My HDD temps are 117F, 117F, and 129F, and my CPU is 115F, with each individual core running at 100F. This seems a little hot to me. Thus I come to you, as I am not sure what to buy to fix this problem. From what I've read I should get a new heatsink and case, but is that all i require?

Specs:
MOBO: Asrock A780GXE/128MB
CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quadcore
GPU: ATI Radeon 4870
HDD: 1 IDE, 2 SATA
RAM: 8 gigs DDR2

At the moment I have a stock heatsink and case, nothing special, and certainty not designed for a gaming rig. I am also looking to buy a better PSU. The one I currently have is 650W max, but it can't handle 2 GPU's, which I will probably invest in when I want to upgrade.

Please note: While I am not brand new to PC building, for the last several years I have had tech savvy friends build them for me, and it is only within the last 4 months that I have decided to be more of a rugged individualist and learn some of this stuff for myself, so please go easy on me if the parts I have aren't optimal :D Also, temperatures are in Fahrenheit! Thanks In advance for any and all help :)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Acually those are good temps. We use C instead of F, convert it and your pretty good. Under 65C for the CPU under load and 39C or so for the HD's is fine.

Look at replacing your case fans and getting an aftermarket CPU cooler. You don't need much else. If your case only has a 120mm in and a 120mm out, think of finding a performance case. You'll be wayyy under $300 total.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Get a new case and CPU HS.

I like the Antec 900 and the Antec 1200, but there are many good cases out there.

Look at Corsair HX PSU series. Also, linkie for PSU reviews.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/ PSU

http://www.frostytech.com/ CPU heatsinks

You can edit your post if you forgot to add something BTW.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hmm what a pretty heatsink! In the many many HS reviews you must of read in the last 1.5 hours how did that one stand out? Is it one of the top 5 or is it just so darn pretty?

What type oth Thermal Paste are you going to buy and how are you going to apply
it?

Trying to get you to sloww down a bit.

And Amazon customer reviews are usually noobish folks without a lot of experiance.

ShtBrix

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
You should upgrade your CPU before you get another GPU.
For the HSF, Sunbeam CCF, Xigmatek HDT-s1283, and the Mugen 2 are great overclocking HSF's for the price. Megahalems are probably the best overall. A True lapped and washer modded is a close second.

Also, consider the CM Storm Scout for a case.

1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I use NewEgg for my reviews, they seem like they know what they're talking about for the most part.

@Conumdrum: I use Antec formula 5 Paste, which I will apply with a notecard to smooth it over the entire surface of the CPU. If there is a better way, or if this is the wrong way entirely!!, just let me know, lol. The HS is pretty, yes, but do ya think it will do the trick, is it worth buying over the ones that ShtBrix suggested?

@ ShtBrix: I was considering the CM case. To be honest, while I like the case a lot, I figured there had to be a reason that everyone and their momas went with the Antec900. If there really isn't, I will probly go for the Scout.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I gave you an awesome review site to educate you on heatsinks, what to buy. Please use it. I can see why you think Newegg reviews are the snitz. Your have never built a PC before and always had friends rely on thier wits to make it right. It's just your new at this and I'm trying to help you help yourself.

Have you ever gone to the AS5 website and read on how they suggest applying the paste?

The CM case is very nice also, it's your stuff. remember you need at least TWO 120mm fans intake, TWO 120mm fans exhaust. Thats the min for a performance case these days.

Once you find a case you like, try using google. Type in the case name and the word 'review'. It helps.