Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to change a hard drive from raid to ntfs

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 20, 2009 9:58:41 PM

how to change a hard drive from raid to ntfs
a c 348 G Storage
December 21, 2009 3:19:01 PM

MAYBE what you mean is: can you take 2 HDD units currently used in a RAID array and convert them to non-RAID separate hard drives using the NTFS File System? (By the way, a RAID array could easily be using the NTFS File System already.) If that is what you want, the answer is you CAN do that. However, you will have to re-Partition the drives and this will mean destroying all its data. So, the very first TWO steps will be:
1. Back up all your data, or migrate it to another drive completely;
2. VERIFY that your data backup is good and you really can get it all back from that backup disk.

After that the details vary a little depending on which type of RAID you had.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 22, 2009 12:15:05 AM

1787023,3,121166 said:
MAYBE what you mean is: can you take 2 HDD units currently used in a RAID array and convert them to non-RAID separate hard drives using the NTFS File System? (By the way, a RAID array could easily be using the NTFS File System already.) If that is what you want, the answer is you CAN do that. However, you will have to re-Partition the drives and this will mean destroying all its data. So, the very first TWO steps will be:
1. Back up all your data, or migrate it to another drive completely;
2. VERIFY that your data backup is good and you really can get it all back from that backup disk.

After that the details vary a little depending on which type of RAID you had.[/quotemsg

I have a laptop that has Windows Vista on it and the hard drives are config in Raid0 and I want to put Windows XP Pro on my laptop but everytime I try it tells me that it can not find my hard drives . I ask someone about this and all they could tell me was that I needed to change my hard drives from Raid to Ntfs so here I am asking how do I do this am I missing a step some where ?
m
0
l
a c 348 G Storage
December 22, 2009 6:25:33 PM

OK, you have Vista installed on a RAID array on your laptop now and it is the C: drive that you boot from. Now you want to get rid of Vista and switch it back to XP Pro on the boot drive? Is that all right - you DO want to get rid of Vista? Or, do you want to have BOTH OS's installed and usable on your laptop? Makes a big difference, so post back here exactly what you want to do.

Whichever way you plan, the root of your dilemma is that Windows XP Install does not know how to use a RAID array until you install the proper driver(s) for it very early in the Install process. That is why the Install disk cannot find your hard drives. And just changing them to independent drives would NOT get you where I think you want to be - that is, using the RAID array as the C: boot drive.

To Install any version of XP to a RAID array, you need to have a floppy disk drive connected to your machine, and a floppy disk prepared with the required RAID drivers on it. To get that disk prepared, look in the manual for your machine. I am assuming you are doing the RAID thing based on built-in RAID control included in your machine's BIOS, so the details of how to install an OS to a RAID array should be in your manual. There might be a separate manual for RAID management, though. In fact, you should check the machine's manufacturer's website in case they have more up-to-date RAID drivers available to use.

You should also check for a possible problem not directly related to RAID. You would not have had this problem with Vista so maybe you don't know about it. The very first release of Win XP did NOT have a feature called "48-bit LBA Support", and this is essential if you plan to use hard drives over 128 GB. That support was added with Service Pack 1 and maintained in all Windows after that. So check the version of Win XP Pro Install you have to use. IF it has Service Pack 1 or later included, then you have no problem here and can proceed. BUT if it has NO Service Packs included, you will have trouble trying to install to a "Disk" (in your case, a RAID array) larger than 128 GB. You should get a more recent version of XP, or you can Slipstream your original-version Install Disk to make a latest-version Install Disk before proceeding.

Post here what your plans are about whether you are keeping Vista, and what you are planning to do to preserve all the data on the HDD's now. Then we can offer more detailed advice.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 22, 2009 6:45:49 PM

kidcool1122 said:
1787023,3,121166 said:
MAYBE what you mean is: can you take 2 HDD units currently used in a RAID array and convert them to non-RAID separate hard drives using the NTFS File System? (By the way, a RAID array could easily be using the NTFS File System already.) If that is what you want, the answer is you CAN do that. However, you will have to re-Partition the drives and this will mean destroying all its data. So, the very first TWO steps will be:
1. Back up all your data, or migrate it to another drive completely;
2. VERIFY that your data backup is good and you really can get it all back from that backup disk.

After that the details vary a little depending on which type of RAID you had.[/quotemsg

I have a laptop that has Windows Vista on it and the hard drives are config in Raid0 and I want to put Windows XP Pro on my laptop but everytime I try it tells me that it can not find my hard drives . I ask someone about this and all they could tell me was that I needed to change my hard drives from Raid to Ntfs so here I am asking how do I do this am I missing a step some where ?
said:



Whoever this is you asked is not knowledgeable with what you are trying to do. Forget everything they have told you, and give an answer back here to paperdoc's basic question....do you want to keep Vista or not? Once you answer that, your problem can be solved rather easily.
m
0
l
December 22, 2009 9:50:20 PM

Paperdoc said:
OK, you have Vista installed on a RAID array on your laptop now and it is the C: drive that you boot from. Now you want to get rid of Vista and switch it back to XP Pro on the boot drive? Is that all right - you DO want to get rid of Vista? Or, do you want to have BOTH OS's installed and usable on your laptop? Makes a big difference, so post back here exactly what you want to do.

Whichever way you plan, the root of your dilemma is that Windows XP Install does not know how to use a RAID array until you install the proper driver(s) for it very early in the Install process. That is why the Install disk cannot find your hard drives. And just changing them to independent drives would NOT get you where I think you want to be - that is, using the RAID array as the C: boot drive.

To Install any version of XP to a RAID array, you need to have a floppy disk drive connected to your machine, and a floppy disk prepared with the required RAID drivers on it. To get that disk prepared, look in the manual for your machine. I am assuming you are doing the RAID thing based on built-in RAID control included in your machine's BIOS, so the details of how to install an OS to a RAID array should be in your manual. There might be a separate manual for RAID management, though. In fact, you should check the machine's manufacturer's website in case they have more up-to-date RAID drivers available to use.

You should also check for a possible problem not directly related to RAID. You would not have had this problem with Vista so maybe you don't know about it. The very first release of Win XP did NOT have a feature called "48-bit LBA Support", and this is essential if you plan to use hard drives over 128 GB. That support was added with Service Pack 1 and maintained in all Windows after that. So check the version of Win XP Pro Install you have to use. IF it has Service Pack 1 or later included, then you have no problem here and can proceed. BUT if it has NO Service Packs included, you will have trouble trying to install to a "Disk" (in your case, a RAID array) larger than 128 GB. You should get a more recent version of XP, or you can Slipstream your original-version Install Disk to make a latest-version Install Disk before proceeding.

Post here what your plans are about whether you are keeping Vista, and what you are planning to do to preserve all the data on the HDD's now. Then we can offer more detailed advice.




I want to do away with Vista and just go with Xp pro and it has service pack 1 on it
m
0
l
December 22, 2009 11:51:24 PM

Hey paper, you have the right info but way to much for the op. 1 step at a time.

You asked the right question and have the answer now. If op undertood it all he would be installin xp now, but he doesnt. I know its easy for us to understand it, but think of the easiest simplist steps first, when answerin a newbe.

Anyways, next step for op is? You'v already said, just say it again a lil more easier for op to understand, and only give the answer op wants, nothing more, or op will be way confused.
m
0
l
a c 348 G Storage
December 23, 2009 2:51:06 PM

OK, so this will be simply a fresh install of Win XP Pro from a CD that includes SP1, to a laptop that has drives in a RAID0 configuration already. I am going to assume that you already have backed up any data you need to save from this machine and do NOT need to save anything on the RAID array. I am also going to assume that you are using some RAID management system built into your laptop.

The first step will be to be sure you have a way to install the RAID driver(s) from a floppy disk as you do the fresh Install. So, do you have a floppy drive in your machine? Do you have a blank floppy disk? Do you have the instruction manual for the laptop that includes some information of how to Install an OS on a RAID array? Those instructions should tell you the exact steps, where you will find the driver(s) you need, and exactly how to prepare the floppy disk for use later. If you don't have the instructions or the drivers, look for them on the website of the maker of your laptop. Make sure to enter there the exact model number you have, to be sure to get the correct instruction manual.

Post back here when you have those things arranged and we can walk through the actual Install process. We don't want to start that until you have everything ready, because getting ready requires using the computer as it is now for internet access and disk preparation.
m
0
l
!