Very unhappy with the 4850

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
My 4850 card plays at the same frame rate when playing crysis at 1024x768 and 1680x1050, freezes after 3 minutes of HL2, and plays WoW at 30-50 FPS. I'm very unhappy with this product.

I am going to return this card and wait a little while for prices to drop. What is a more stable card that could soon be in the $200-$250 range?

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Of course I disabled v-sync. Why would ATI release a card that overheats and freezes at stock settings? I also tried the fan tweak but the CCC doesnt make an .xml file for the profile I create and therefor i am unable to change the fan speed.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Sure it does, the profile is in /Documents and settings\[Yourname]\Local settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles.

The 4850 is a fine card, how's airflow? Also the 4200 does bottleneck the card somewhat.

Wow, you were able to troubleshoot the entire line from your one PC, impressive. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

Just like nVidia, and S3, not everything work for everybody. Obviously you got one of the ones that didn't work for you, now whether that's your fault or the card's has yet to be determined.

The first part of your original gripe shoudl give you an idea that the bottleneck is not in the GPU if turn up / down the resolution has no impact on the framerate. That would not be fixed by changing to any other card, since obviously the bottleneck lies elsewhere. It's also likely the one that's keeping your WOW fps capped too (not that WOW was much of a GPU-oriented game even at the best of times).

The stability issue for HL2 could be a bunch of things, however, first thing first, what did you do to prepare for this card and what did you have before it?

Right now I'm guessing it's a CTKI issue, probably some critical thinking will help you resolve the issue, but we'll see. :whistle:

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
well I got a lot more FPS in WoW with my 8800gts 320 which is why I am angry that this card (or at least the drivers) don't perform well or are so incredibly pre-mature. Also the fact that this card (not only for me but for MANY other people) runs ridiculously hot without an after market cooler.

I would just like a recommendation for a more stable card in this price range.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007

Lol I just ran Trackmania on Steam with this card and it froze in under 3 seconds. Not a stable card.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Having both cards myself I can tell you the 4850 absolutely demolishes the 8800 GTS 320. There's no comparison.

Don't make assumptions, the new 4850 may be a red herring. Check the memory with boottime memtest, and run Prime95 to see if the system is stable. The greater capabilities of the 4850 can easily highlight OTHER problems with the system. 2.5 Gigs is barely adequate if there other processes running. That may be bottlenecking the greater fill rate and texture memory of the 4850 over the 8800gts.

And did you completely remove the Nvidia drivers before installing the ATI? Thats important.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, hence my mention of the preparation before install, and the crucial CTKI defect, I think it's the primary problem here. [:datmanii:4]

Funny he moans about the drivers for this card as if the GF8800 had no problems. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

As for the temps, there's alot of people moaning about the numbers out there but they seem to have a short memory of the temps of the other powerful single slot card, the GF8800GT which also had very high temps.

Interesting it's both the drivers and the temps, but with no supporting information. And then he's determined the rest of his system is stable but replacing his CPU once the GTS is in will make it stop sucking but not now with a more powerful GPU in it. It's like watching someone troubleshoot using google instead of their own diagnostic info. :heink:

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hello

There could be a number of problems with your computer configuration. Your motherboard might not work properly with the 4850 with your current bios. Your CPU could bottleneck your 4850 it might even bottleneck the geforce 8800...

You could have a defective card. I have had issues with 2 out of the 5 NVIDIA cards that I have bought in my lifetime and never a issue with any of the 7 RADEON cards I have bought. So it is just one of those things. And why upgrade from a geforce 8800 anyway at this stage????
The card is more that capable of running any new game on the market. If you want higher quality in graphics then a complete system upgrade is a better choice rather than just a graphics card...

My PENTIUM 4 3.0 with a RADEON 1950pro could not run crysis on LOWEST setting above 18fps but when I swapped the CPU to a CORE 2 6400 it ran at 24fps on HIGH setting 78fps on LOWEST...
RETURN the RADEON and save some money wait until you can afford a better system.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
thanks slush thats what I intend to do. I'm going to get a new set-up for my birthday in two months, and maybe i'll also look around for a g-card around then just to see if theres been any significant drops in prices. by november there will be a lot of new PC games that will need more than my 8800gts 320 lol.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Very presumptive to say that the 4850 is not a stable card. You do realize that there's probably tens of thousands of 4850 owners who would disagree with you. The 4850 is over 9000.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Do not return your card.

Follow the simple steps to mod the xml file.

I promise you it's there, I was disagreeing at first to, but if you keep looking, you'll find it.

I upgraded from 8800gts 640mb and will not go back under any circumstance, the 4850 is leaps and bounds better.

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Yes the RADEON 4850 is much better but is it better under his system...If he had a faster CPU then it would have worked better but he doesn't so why waste the DOLLARS for something that wont give him a significant performance increase???
If he were to upgrade to a faster CPU then GO and get the RADEON 4850 but he is not...Like I said my RADEON 1950 had a huge increase in performance when I got a new CPU...

You have to keep your upgrade relevant to what your current system can support. What if I put the 4850 in a 5year old Pentium 4???I would get crap performance. But if I had a Q6600 then my performance leap would be amazing...

G

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrde my system. Presently, I am running an intel core 2 duo 6400 cpu, with a 7950GT 512 mb video card and 2 gigs of ram. I would like to update my video card. I think I have enough cpu power to run most games. I can buy a Radeon 4850 for $199 or get a 9800GTX for 179. My monitor runs at a max resolution of1280x1024.

I need advice so I am asking some questions.

1) Should i stick with my current system and just update the video card?
2) Do i need to update my monitor, since max resolution is only 1280x1024?
3) Do i need a cpu upgrade?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Oh, I should mention that teh games I play are team fortress2, World in Conflict adn Assasin's Creed

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!
I definitely agree^ [:mousemonkey:5]

Well I have no idea why someone would think the 4850 sucks...its the best thing thats ever happened to me...I slapped that baby in my rig, along with my X2 6000+ and baby that thing flies (using it on my 24" lcd monitor)...even before I applied the fan fix for the card, I never had any troubles with it...at this point, I don't see any justification getting an nvidia card (not saying that they are crap or anything)...the ati cards are extremely competitively priced (which forced nvidia to drastically drop their pricetags), they usually perform better in crossfire compared to sli, and I believe they tend to use less power than the nvidia cards...