Sign in with
Your question

Can windows 7 do RAID 0?

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2009 12:35:45 AM

I recently bought a motherboard with no onboard RAID.
However, I would like to be able to set up RAID 0.
My operating system is windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Is there a way for me to be able to do a RAID 0 configuration with windows 7?
If so, how?
I also don't want to spend money on a RAID card; just costs way too much for me.

Thanks.

More about : windows raid

a b G Storage
December 21, 2009 12:49:16 AM

You can do it in software, but it won't be as fast as it would be with RAID hardware. Your best bet if you're looking for a serious speed improvement would be to invest in a separate RAID card.
December 21, 2009 2:49:33 AM

jedimasterben said:
You can do it in software, but it won't be as fast as it would be with RAID hardware. Your best bet if you're looking for a serious speed improvement would be to invest in a separate RAID card.

how do I do it in software then?
I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a RAID card.
Related resources
a c 252 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a c 177 G Storage
December 21, 2009 2:54:48 AM

What do you wish to accomplish with raid-0?
December 21, 2009 3:51:48 AM

geofelt said:
What do you wish to accomplish with raid-0?

better performance?
atleast that was what I was told RAID 0 achieves.
a c 252 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a c 177 G Storage
December 21, 2009 4:02:48 AM

nammerduong said:
better performance?
atleast that was what I was told RAID 0 achieves.

Raid-0 will give you better performance if you are processing large sequential files. Even then, you get the same or better results by separating your input and output files on separate drives. For gaming and the OS there is little value. Read this:
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
December 21, 2009 1:05:04 PM

Software RAID is not for performance. If you do not have a integrated RAID controller, or do not want to buy an add in card, forget about RAID 0. Software RAID using Windows actually most of the time ends being slower than using a single drive.
If you are looking for a performance bump, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE RAID IN WINDOWS.
Besides, unless you are spending a lot of time moving many large files around, RAID 0 is actually pretty useless for the average user, if you have a newer SATA drive. RAID 0 was more popular several years ago with the old ATA drives, as they were simply turtle crawling slow, and putting a couple of them in RAID did make a big difference. With todays fast drives though, RAID just doesn't make that big of difference to the average user.
!