Zire power alternatives

a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2004 11:47:31 PM

I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2004 11:47:32 PM

floda reltih <floda@reltih.de> wrote in message news:<D5qrd.7652$8S5.990750@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
> mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
> Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma

sounds like it should work. 95 percent chance !
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2004 7:18:35 AM

floda reltih <floda@reltih.de> wrote:

>I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
>mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
>Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma

If the Zire supply is the one rated at 500ma then you may overload the 400ma
mobile phone supply if you use it on the Zire. However if it's the other way
around it should work just fine.
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2004 8:00:15 AM

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in

> floda reltih <floda@reltih.de> wrote:
>
>>I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
>>mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
>>Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma
>
> If the Zire supply is the one rated at 500ma then you may overload the
> 400ma mobile phone supply if you use it on the Zire. However if it's
> the other way around it should work just fine.

I doubt a hundred milliamps difference will burn out the power supply.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2004 8:25:49 AM

On Wed 01 Dec 2004 08:18:35p, AaronJ, wrote:

> floda reltih <floda@reltih.de> wrote:
>
>>I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
>>mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
>>Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma
>
> If the Zire supply is the one rated at 500ma then you may overload
> the 400ma mobile phone supply if you use it on the Zire. However if
> it's the other way around it should work just fine.

From what I've seen, usually more damage is done from not having enough
wattage, rather then too much. But you're only talking about 100ma
here.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:

>AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in
>
>> floda reltih <floda@reltih.de> wrote:
>>
>>>I notice that the Zire takes the same plug/voltage as my Kyocera K7
>>>mobile phone. Even the polarity - as marked on the PSUs are the same.
>>>Both are 5.2v. The only difference is between 400 and 500 ma
>>
>> If the Zire supply is the one rated at 500ma then you may overload the
>> 400ma mobile phone supply if you use it on the Zire. However if it's
>> the other way around it should work just fine.
>>
>I doubt a hundred milliamps difference will burn out the power supply.

That extra 100ma amounts to a substantial 25% overload. Overloading might cause
excessive heat in the power supply, degraded filtering, reduced voltage, and/or
eventual component failure causing incorrect/unfiltered/unrectified voltages to
enter the $$$Zire. Then again maybe nothing bad will happen... ;)
!