Sign in with
Your question

Why is OS not included in build budget?

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2008 1:37:10 AM

Being new to these forums - which are loaded with great information by the way - why is it that so many people building systems on a tight budget forget the cost of the operating system? I'm assuming not everyone as a copy of Vista 64-bit lying around. Just curious...

More about : included build budget

July 31, 2008 2:09:57 AM

Most people either have an OS already or just pirate it. That about sums it up. I cannot stand people who pirate stuff, makes me have to pay more for it when I buy it. Myself I bought Vista Ultimate 64 the full version, so I am set for a while. Till the next OS. :) 
July 31, 2008 2:20:56 AM

more people than you would think have a copy of the OS they want handy, typically from a previous build they are now going to turn into a linux server box or something.
Related resources
July 31, 2008 2:26:57 AM

rochin said:
Most people either have an OS already or just pirate it. That about sums it up. I cannot stand people who pirate stuff, makes me have to pay more for it when I buy it. Myself I bought Vista Ultimate 64 the full version, so I am set for a while. Till the next OS. :) 

You also have to pay more for it because when it's full of bugs...nobody wants it, MS has always gouged and piracy is a convenient for them to gouge worse !
July 31, 2008 2:30:53 AM

I usually ask if things like keyboard, mouse, monitor and/or OS is included in the budget. The problem is that the choice of OS is dependent on the person buying it. Do you have a lot of older peripherals that would require you to go with an older OS such as XP or do you need the added features of Vista Ultimate. I think the best all around Windows OS currently is Vista Home Premium but others would disagree so it is really up to the individual which OS is best for them. Also as rochin wrote a lot of people have an OS already from an old system that they can use and some do pirate but I don't think it's as big an issue as some make it seem.
July 31, 2008 2:32:44 AM

royalcrown said:
You also have to pay more for it because when it's full of bugs...nobody wants it, MS has always gouged and piracy is a convenient for them to gouge worse !

Exactly, it's not like MS is just barely getting by.
July 31, 2008 2:34:34 AM

linux is also free
July 31, 2008 2:48:30 AM

^^+1 but not sure if too many people use it... my friend has 7 partitions on his 1tb of space O_O

yes im a dickhead that pirates... i admit... but im trying to lean away from it, i try to buy new games, and besides, i buy **** of games for my 360

but i refuse to purchase older titles for before 2003, its just not cool man.. xp 64bit ftw
July 31, 2008 4:15:40 AM

skittle said:
linux is also free
and also very good.
With KDE or GNOME Linux can be tuned to "look and feel" like Windows or MacOS.

!