Been out of the motherboard loop for a while

ChedWick

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Hello everyone. I've need some suggestions. I've been out of the loop on motherboards for a while and unfortunately that's what I'm looking for now.

I'm building a new gaming PC around the Intel core 2 duo E8600 and most likely the nVideo 9800gtx. At the current moment I only plan to run 1 card but maybe in a few months time I might want to throw another in for an SLI configuration. There is also a pretty big change I'll over clock everything. So I need a good fast quality board. I've looked at several EVGA i780's and i790's along with the P5Q's and Stickers.

Since I've been out of the loop on boards for a while I don't know what manufacturer is good anymore or what chipset is best for what I desire to do. Help suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

fallen2004

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Well you cant do SLI on P5Q's, i dont use nvidia cards so i dnt no about there mobo's, soz i cnt be more help. I do no they arnt as good so if ur not sure about SLI maybe just forget it and get a P5Q Pro
Or you could just get a ATI card, it depends on what you want to spend on each part really

ChedWick

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Well I'm pretty set with the nvidea, I haven't had good experiences with ati cards or customer service.

For the motherboard I'm looking ideally around 200, less would be great more would be OK if it didn't exceed 250 by much.

I've also seen a far amount of xfx and evga boards with "limited lifetime warranty" Are these warranties just a false sense of security?