Windows XP or Vista?

I like pie

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I think it is. Anyways, my question is:

For my new build, should I get XP Pro, or Vista Home Premium 64-bit? I'll be running e8400 (oc most probably), ati 4870, 4 gigs of DDR2 ram, and a Segate 500GB 7200.11 32Mb Cache HDD. See, I wanted to build a computer that I wouldn't have to make any upgrades to it. I'm asking 'cause I'm not sure about Vista. How are the drivers? Is it stable? Etc... By the way, I plan on doing a lot of gaming on it, but also want to do some video editing/multi-tasking. I know, get a quad...you don't have to tell me. :sarcastic:

Thank you.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Vista 64. . . It's stable, SP 1 seemed to fix most issues. I also like it more than XP, it loads faster, and you get to use DX10. Most Vista haters seem like they've never really used Vista, especially post SP 1.

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Vista 64 end of story. Ram is cheap so get at least 4GB. I have had no issues with Vista. The bad things you hear are just people bashing VIsta.

royalcrown

Distinguished
vista isn't quite as snappy as xp, but it does fine gaming and has nice features like:

Each app has it's own volume control
Crashes are handled better
It's "purdy"
there's more but those are what i like, plus dx10 is really awesome in SOME games, check out company of heroes in dx9 vs dx 10 dx10 wastes 9 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffx-5MivOz4

you do take a fps hit, but what is the point of loads of fps if you can't use them to look great ?