Sign in with
Your question

Toslink woes :(

Last response: in Components
October 7, 2008 6:59:47 PM

I have my Xbox 360 hooked to a Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound card via a QDE toslink cable (so low-quality cable is ruled out), and then onto my Razer Barracuda HP-1 heaset (so confirmed 5.1 capable output).

When I have my Xbox set to output stereo it works fine, but when I put it up to 5.1, I get a lot of noise, sounds a bit like static.

Anyone got any idea what the problem might be?

More about : toslink woes

October 7, 2008 8:10:55 PM

sounds like it may be the digital format that the xbox is outputting, im not familiar with the xbox, but from experience with other devices you need to make sure that its outputting either pcm or ac-3 depending on what your soundcard likes....
October 7, 2008 10:05:23 PM

Sounds like the card doesn't support the format that the xbox is outputting.
Related resources
October 7, 2008 10:48:36 PM

I've never heard of a card with a 5.1-channel input, are you certain the input isn't just stereo?
October 7, 2008 11:11:15 PM

Toslink supports 5.1, so a toslink input supports 5.1. It needs to be in the right format though - it probably accepts Dolby Digital, and might accept DTS. 5.1 channel PCM is probably not supported though, which might be the format that the 360 is outputting.
October 7, 2008 11:13:39 PM

That's really unfortunate... might look around for a card specifically for toslink in that is compatible with the 360 :/ 
October 8, 2008 3:36:25 AM

cjl said:
Toslink supports 5.1, so a toslink input supports 5.1. It needs to be in the right format though - it probably accepts Dolby Digital, and might accept DTS. 5.1 channel PCM is probably not supported though, which might be the format that the 360 is outputting.

That's like saying Digital Coaxial supports 5.1, so any input that has it must also support 5.1. But that's not true, because there's an audio processor in between the data bus and the cable connector that may or may not support more than two input channels.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say his input shouldn't support 5.1. It should be able to downmix a 5.1 signal to 2.1, but that's where the format issues everyone is mentioning could come into play.
!