Sign in with
Your question

HTPC - Choppy Blu-Ray Playback

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2008 2:35:18 PM

Hello :hello:  Happy Friday!

Here is my situation: When I play my Blu-Rays, I'm getting really bad choppy frames. It's almost like the buffer is messed up or something because if i click on the line at the bottom of the screen (the bar that shows how far I am into the movie) it becomes unchoppy again for about 10 seconds. then it goes back to being choppy.

I'm confused about this because my system specs are pretty solid. Here is what I'm working with:

SOFTWARE:
Windows Vista X64 Ultimate (all up to date with service pack)

Cyberlink PDVD Ultra (all updated with newest patches - I have hardware accelleration checked in the video preferences)

HARDWARE:
LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-11 - OEM

Single ATI 4850 Catalyst 8.8 and Downloaded AVIVO Codec Pack

AMD 6400+ NOTHING overclocked and default BIOS settings. Bios Updated.

4 GIG Gskill (2X2gig Dual Channel)

750 Toughpower pewer supply (Thermatake)

I'm wondering if it has something to do with With the 7.1 audio? I had to download the new RealTek audio drivers from the website in order to get the HDMI audio working properly (for windows to show the 7.1 option in the HDMI system properties). I have heard rumors that for some reason that driver eats up system resources for no good reason. However, my processor does not show that it's being taxed.

NOTE: standard DVDs play back on this drive perfectly. It's only Blu-Ray disks.

August 22, 2008 6:31:00 PM

Yeah can't help you much, didn't update the driver, but I have heard that the Realtek download introduced alot of CPU spikes into people's systems, even when they were doing nothing, but they brief spikes so you may need to turn up the cpu monitor refresh rate to see it.

That would be my first guess.

If it's a relaticvely fresh system, I'd fresh install and skip those drivers, not sure if there is another fix out there or not. Are you using a 7.1 processor at the other end?
August 22, 2008 7:13:22 PM

I'm running HD tests right now for an article, and I'm finding PowerDVD extremely buggy and choppy. Totalmedia Theatre is giving me much better playback performance, even on a single core Sempron 3200+ and integrated 780G video...

That's my experience anyhoo. No guarantees! :) 
Related resources
August 22, 2008 7:18:39 PM

Thanx for the tip Cleeve. Cant wait for the article!
August 22, 2008 10:27:53 PM

cleeve said:
I'm running HD tests right now for an article, and I'm finding PowerDVD extremely buggy and choppy. Totalmedia Theatre is giving me much better playback performance, even on a single core Sempron 3200+ and integrated 780G video...

That's my experience anyhoo. No guarantees! :) 

So I'm not sure if you still have the HD-DVD drive as well, have you tried it on there?
Do you think it's Bit Rate related? The only dual layer disc I have would be Batman (not sure of compression technique) and maybe MADMEN (doubt it though as TV content).

I've been thinking about jumping ship to WinDVD due to the drop of HD-DVD Support, I looked at ArcSoft's solution, to bad it doesn't had HD-DVD (at least not in the details, it does say HD-DVD in the order tab though).

August 22, 2008 11:20:05 PM

I'm not sure why you need the realtek drivers if you're running the audio through your ATI card. . . Maybe you can disable the on board audio in device manager or the audio device on the ATI card if you're not using it.
August 22, 2008 11:41:13 PM

Well my understanding is that the Realtek drivers are required to get the un-compressed 7.1 audio (DTS-HD-MA, TruHD, LPCM), of course that's only if you're sending the HDMI to a capable decoding stereo to benefit from it.

For most TVs and older AV systems, 2.1 LPCM and DD/DTS 5.1 would be fine since that's all they support over AC3 anyways.
August 23, 2008 1:50:09 PM

I run Blue-Ray and HD-DVD on my PC without any issues. All videos in 1080P. I use PowerDVD Ultra...OS is Vista Ultimate-64.

I run to issues before but it got all resovled...PowerDVD is always behind with updates specially for new hardware. Regular DVD always run fine even you have issues with Blue-ray and HD-DVD,

Questions:
1) Did you run the powerDVD advisor? If yes did you get all green light meaning it all criteria PASS?.
2) If not, Run the powerDVD advisor and if it fail send your results to cyberlink technical support (This is only through email).

3)PowerDVD open times run even when Power DVD advisor fails but it will have issues like yours.

4)You have a new video card ....4850. Its clear that your PowerDVD is not updated....DO NOT USE THE PATCH FROM CYBERLINK WEBSITE. GET A PATCH THROUGH TECHNICAL SUPPORT. THE PATCH FROM CYBERLINK WEBPAGE OPEN TIMES ARE OUTDATED AND DON'T FIX SPECIFIC ISSUES.
ITS A PAIN...YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS TO A WEEK OR MORE.

5) THE BEST WAY TO ADDRESS POWERDVD RELATED ISSUES IS TROUGH ITS TECHNICAL SUPPORT VIA EMAIL. IT TOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS BEFORE THEY FINALLY COME UP WITH PATCH FOR MY HARDWARE. THEY MAY BE FASTER THESE DAYS.

6)How did you get your PowerDVD? If it came with your Blue-ray drive it does not support 7.1 audio. It is only a stereo version. You need to purchase the full version from cyberlink to get 7.1 audio for Blue-ray and HD-DVD.

I don't think there is a problem with your hardware. You need to get a patch for your PowerDVD from cyberlink technical support.

Before you run the advisor load the latest drivers for your video card.

The advisor is the software that checks HDCP compliance of your PC. It checks the video card, video card driver, the display (monitor or tv). In most cases the PowerDVD is outdated and don't recognize the video card, and or video driver revision.

Cyberlink is pretty slow in updating its webpage. Going through technical support you will have a patch that will work for your hardware/software.

Hope this help..

August 23, 2008 1:56:51 PM

Additional Information...

Most of these issues is due to HDCP compliance checking to enable 1080P video and 7.1 audio.

If your hardware & drivers are compliant the best way to test it is to use SONY/COLUMBIA picture movies (i.e. Spiderman 3). This is one of the most difficult Blue_ray to play if you have compliance issues. Once Spiderman-3 plays all Blue-ray disc plays.

Why... Because SONY and COLUMBIA PICTURES PARANOIA TO PIRACY...

When i started i get some Blue-Ray disc to play but not SPIDERMAN-3. That discs only plays when i get all GREEN LIGHTS FROM POWERDVD ADVISOR.

Again the sure thing to get it resolve is through cyberlink to technical support(NOT TRHROUH ITS WEBPAGE). You will need a lot of patience..

Good Luck!
!