Booting Computer w/ Multiple OS Installs

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Hello,

I've looked on various forums for the answer to this and can't find anything, so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I setup a RAID-0 array on my computer this past weekend and installed Win7 64-bit without too much difficulty (the Windows drivers were a bit of a pain). During this install I disconnected the other two HDs I have in my computer, one which was previously used with another instance of Win7 64-bit on it and the second used for storage.

I want to be able to boot from my old instance of Win7 so that I can pull my settings from programs I have configured and apply them to my new instance on the RAID-0 array. Problem is, after I reattach the two old drives to my mobo and change the boot order to load the old Win7 install first -- it goes into the Windows load screen and then gives me a BSOD before restarting.

I am thinking that this might have to do with the RAID controller I have setup in my BIOS, and the fact that my old OS version is a single HD is causing the issue with load. I didn't change anything back in my RAID setup for fear of losing my newly created array, but if possible I would like to be able to choose between which OS install I want to load when my computer boots.

When I am in the new instance of Windows 7 I can access both of my older hard drives in Windows Explorer, so the computer recognizes them -- I just can't boot from it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

ASUS M2A-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (O/C to ~3200 MHz)
8GB Corsair DDR2 800
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD drives in RAID-0 array (new Win7 install)
1 WD Caviar Blue 500GB HD drive (old Win7 install)
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD drive (media/backup)

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Bump.

From what I've seen around isn't there a menu that is supposed to load after by BIOS post to allow me to select which OS to boot? Is the reason I can't get this because (1) I have enabled my RAID controller and therefore my single HD doesn't get the boot file read? And/or (2) is there something I need to do to the Windows boot file so that it knows to look at my other HD as a bootable drive?

Check the manual. I set up 3 pair of HDD (raid0). XP on one, Vista on 2nd and Win 7RC on the third pair. Had no problem selecting which operating system by hitting F12 while powering up and simply select which HDD to boot from. Install operating system one at a time with other two pairs disconnected.

you may have a problem if you changed your bios setup (ie changing from AHCI to sata/Raid)