Sign in with
Your question

How do i open a hard drive without formatting

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2009 3:26:12 PM

hi please help

i have an ex seagate h/drive that i cannot open because it says it needs formatting . i have used it with no problems on a laptop (vista) then i tried it on a pc (xp) and now it wont open on either
December 21, 2009 3:56:07 PM

Looks like it's screwed. Try using Linux.
a b G Storage
December 21, 2009 5:59:45 PM

Format with fast format, and use Active File recovery for recover the data of the disk
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 21, 2009 6:39:36 PM

I would not format the drive untill after recovering all my data, I would not even consider it. I agree with Masterasian and would try a live linux to recover the needed files, and then after i have what is needed i would format it again.
December 21, 2009 9:56:31 PM

thx for replies i have recovered everything using windows recovery on the seagate website :)  phew
a b G Storage
December 22, 2009 5:14:02 AM

saint19 worst answer ever -1000

if you tested your system you will 99% of the time find either memory or hdd faulty and on the outside chance psu or other components

what you should have done is test the hdd, then assessed the options from there - some tools can fix those bad sectors it finds, then a simple chkdsk /r run will cure the un-accessable patition etc - easy solution

do people bother testing hardware these days or just guess stuff always?
December 22, 2009 2:34:38 PM

apache_lives said:
saint19 worst answer ever -1000

if you tested your system you will 99% of the time find either memory or hdd faulty and on the outside chance psu or other components

what you should have done is test the hdd, then assessed the options from there - some tools can fix those bad sectors it finds, then a simple chkdsk /r run will cure the un-accessable patition etc - easy solution

do people bother testing hardware these days or just guess stuff always?

Not to hijack this thread but you just gave me an idea. What if Tom's Hardware also gave the option for the OP to select worst answer? And if someone got worst answer enough time, they would lose points/badges and get demoted all the way back to newcomer? Lol...
December 22, 2009 2:36:42 PM

zonk1969 said:
hi please help

i have an ex seagate h/drive that i cannot open because it says it needs formatting . i have used it with no problems on a laptop (vista) then i tried it on a pc (xp) and now it wont open on either

Did you try to boot from this HD, lone drive in the system? You might be able to copy the files you need from DOS.
December 22, 2009 8:16:43 PM

as i said above i have recovered all my files but thx again
!