Asus Rampage Extreme heatsinks

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I just bought an Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard and have to admit I'm very impressed with the quality of the board. As you may know, this board comes with two other heatsinks which can replace the heatsinks on the board.

The question is, is it considered a good move for lower NB/SB temperatures to remove the entire heatsink assembly, including the copper tubing, replacing the TIM where necessary and put the entire assembly back again?

I took off the two heatsinks that were screwed down, intending to replace them with the supplied larger heatsinks. I'm amazed the manual mentions nothing about removing the TIM and re-applying it with something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Of course is recommended
ASUS is known to put the cheapest and crappiest thermal paste.

Get some MX-2 and replace the tim. Make sure to use Artic Clenaer (2 bottles) to clean the heatsinks and the chips.

Also use the extra block for your NB if you are going extreme overclocking.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
So just to be sure I know what you're talking about, you mean remove the entire assembly from the board, by unscrewing the screws from under the board?

I'm replacing the Fusion block with the replacement, I don't water cool, air cooling is fine. I can't replace the other heatsink near the CPU, my cooler hits it, so I'll leave the stock heatsink on it for now.

I also read that someone put extra nylon washers under the screws on the underside of the board, to increase the mounting pressure. It looks like I have extra washers already on mine, as purchased from Newegg a few days ago.