EVGA 8800GT installation results in black screen

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • EVGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2008 5:44:38 PM

Hello,
So I installed an EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB and ran into a rather serious problem.
I removed the old card from the primary PCI-E x16 slot (an old GeForce EVGA 7300LE), installed the new card, plugged in the 6 pin PCI-E cable to my Thermaltake 700W PSU. Booted up the computer, everything was fine. Card functioned properly. Windows booted in low resolution, then prompted me to correct the resolution, which I did. Then I loaded the driver installation cd provided and began installing the new drivers. When the installation finished, the program prompted me to reboot, which i did. Then, no signal to the moniter, from either of the DVI inputs. The moniter just goes into standby mode.
So, I removed the new card and replaced the old card I knew to be functional, and now I get no signal from it either. Im kind of stumped about what to do here, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
ASUS P5B Deluxe Intel P965 Express ATX Motherboard
Thermaltake W0106RU 700W PSU
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB hard drive
Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Sound Blaster XFi Xtreme Gamer sound card
EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB video card
Antec 900 case

More about : evga 8800gt installation results black screen

August 22, 2008 5:59:05 PM

if you can boot into Safe Mode uninstall the display driver and try to install a newer one (version 177.83) or if you already did than install an older one (version 175.19).

if you can't see anything at all even on POST than i would recommend you to clear the CMOS and make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Hope it helps
August 22, 2008 6:08:08 PM

I cant see anything. The moniter isn't even getting the signal on boot up, you know. I will try resetting the CMOS and post up results.
Related resources
August 22, 2008 6:22:29 PM

OK, so per the instruction book that comes with the motherboard, I reset the CMOS:
-turn off computer and unplug PSU
-remove onboard battery
-move jumper cap from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and leave for 5-10 seconds, then replace on pins 1-2
-reinstall onboard battery
-plug in PSU and turn power on

Now, after I have done this, the computer turns on for 2 seconds, turns off for 5 seconds, then turns on again and stays on, but still no signal to the moniter at all. This is with the old card installed. Someone please help me out.....this is driving me nuts. Is this a mobo issue?
August 22, 2008 6:46:29 PM

So when it comes back on, do you get a single beep? Any beeps? Even though you don't get a signal to the monitor, does it look as if it's booting to windows (HDD LED blinking)? If it does this, you could try another monitor just in case.

If all of this isn't applicable, this is what I would try. First remove the video card. Next reset the BIOS as you described. Leave the card out and turn on your system. You should hear a beep code that corresponds to no video subsystem detected. If this happens then your motherboard is working as far as detecting the lack of video card. Now shut down your system and put the new card back in the slot making sure to plug in the PCI-E power connector(s). Of course when you are removing or adding cards, you have the computer unplugged,,, right? Once the cards installed and you've plugged your computer back in restart your computer, hopefully you will be greeted by a POST screen.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
August 23, 2008 2:55:13 PM

Ok, so first off, yes I have the PSU switched off and the power cord removed from the PSU whenever I have my box open period. I tried exactly what you said, resetting the CMOS and then trying to boot with no video card and got nothing, no beeps.
But the hard drive activity light was still flashing away. So then I put the new 8800GT card into my primary pci-e x16 slot and connected it to the moniter, using one of the 6 pin pci-e power cable cables that came with my PSU. In fact I tried the other pci-e power cables too. All seem to function properly, and its definately getting enough power, because the fan is spinning fine and I just have one hard drive and a cd-rom, so the 700W PSU has plenty of overhead.
I also tried it with the old geforce 7300LE that had been functioning perfectly back in and tried it too. In every configuration I have tried, the same thing happens.
I press the power button, the system turns ON for 1 second, the OFF for 5 seconds, then ON again and stays on, with all lights and fans and discs spinning, I can open/close the cd drive, the hard drive activity light comes on, but no signal to the moniter (tested moniter with laptop, works perfectly), no beeps.
I am starting to think that my motherboard is bad, but i'm a semi noob in hardware...this is the first comp. I built and it has functioned perfectly for a little over a year until 2 days ago. Any ideas or suggestions?
August 24, 2008 2:27:53 AM

Can you try another power supply just to be sure. Maybe you have a bad rail on your psu. If it doesn't start then problably it's your mobo.

Good luck
August 24, 2008 4:59:39 AM

We may be fixating our troubleshooting on the fact that you installed a new video card, maybe we should expand our troubleshooting a bit. Try some of the basics.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, try booting with just one stick of RAM, if that doesn't work, try the other. Also try in different slots if neither stick works in the first. If you can get it to POST then, go into your BIOS screen and raise Vdimm. I don't know your exact specs on your RAM, but you should be able to find them out. Find out the voltage specified by Kingston. Once you've adjusted Vdimm then shutdown and put both DIMMS back in.

If doesn't get you there, it could be a dead motherboard.

When you said that you don't get any beeps, maybe I should have asked beforehand, do you have a case speaker plugged into your motherboard? Cause if not, you aren't going to hear any beep codes.
!