C2D showing 1 core.

ajrichie

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Sorry if this was covered, I searched but maybe not well enough. Basically my e6550 is only showing one core in CPU-Z. Also, when running one instance of Prime95 it shows 100% CPU load when it should show 50% for one core. Anyone know what the problem could be?

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Did you upgrade your computer from a single core to a dual core? Go to the property manager and look under the "computer" section. It should say something about multicore...

-mcg

ajrichie

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
No, it just did this out of nowhere. I have been messing around in the bios but I just reset it to fail-safe so I don't think that is the problem. My computer is currently showing up as an "ACPI x64 based PC" I tried updating it but it said it is up to date.

ajrichie

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I was messing around with various BIOS and boot settings and it went back to 2 cores. Not sure exactly what did it but if it happens again i'll try to identify what exactly fixed it and post it here for other people.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Go to device manager/processors and see what it says. If it doesnt show 2 cores there. Clear cmos and see if that helps. Also when your in the bios check the cpu temps to see if its showing both cores. If that still doesnt work boot off a life linux cd and see if that runs/shows both cores. If that works its most likely a windoze issue and should be fixed with a clean install. If the live cd doesnt ID both cores you could have a hardware failer(cpu or bad mobo).

Your mobo probably was one of the kind that had a setting to enable/disable dual cores. You probably hit it allowing it to show the second core again.

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

are you sure you don't mean its showing 1 processor?

right click on it and you should be able to select a different core.