AMD Slot A 800Mhz (old) braces? Know what these are?

johnlocke

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I've found an old machine I was putting together, it's a slot-a AMD 800MHz and I've got a /decent/ KA7 board for it.

What I appear to be missing entirely is the braces that hold the slot chip in place on the mobo, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what these are called so I can see if anyone still sells those guys.

Any ideas? I could run this ok on it's side, but I'd rather it be a /little/ more able to be moved without possible dropping the chip out of the running machine.

Much appreciated.

4745454b

Titan
I can't for the life of me remember if the old P2 bracket also worked. I know they fit in the same slots, but the hole in the bracket is in a different place. If you lay the computer on its side, even with a P2 bracket it should be stable enough until you find/buy an old Slot A board online.

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
actually, it was the first time, i think, that AMD and Intel did not use the same socket. AMD was slot A while Intel was slot 1 if I remember correctly (I used to own the very first athlon that came, i think it was 600 or 650Mhz.that cpu rocked hard). Maybe you can locate on ebay some of these brackets. Good luck

johnlocke

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
You guys got it! It was that slot A retention bracket. Good to know they appear decently cheap still.

Thanks a bunch!