Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not receiving input

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2008 1:18:24 PM

Hi so I am trying to build a computer for the first time and have run into some snafus. Specs are
PSU TT|W0100RU 500W R
MoBo ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-A-was open box
CPU Intel E8400
GPU ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB
RAM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800
HD 750G|ST 7K 16M SATA2
DVD BURN LITE-ON|DH-20A4P-04
Case Thermaltake WingRS 100 VG1000BNS
ASUS VW193T Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
The problem is that the monitor is not receiving any input. When I plug the computer in and turn it on everything seems to work, the front panel lights go on the fans all go on, and the dvd burner will open and close. However the monitor does not get any input and nothing on the keyboard will ever light up either. I've tried taking the video card out and putting it back in and checked the plugs from the video card to the monitor and they all seem like they are in. The videocards fan spins when the computer is turned on so I believe it is getting power.
July 31, 2008 1:38:58 PM

Do you have a speaker attached to the motherboard? Some beep codes would be nice. Do you have another system either yours or your friends to test your components on to eliminate some variables? Try booting with just one memory stick in different slots.
Related resources
July 31, 2008 1:54:12 PM

I tried using another monitor still no joy. Also took out one of the sticks of ram and moved the other to an unoccupied slot but once again doesn't seem to change anything.
July 31, 2008 2:12:42 PM

...They keyboard lights won't light up? Thats not a good sign...

500w should be plently, but it does sound a bt like a power issue...
a b C Monitor
July 31, 2008 2:22:14 PM

Did you connect the 4 pin power connector on the motherboard?

Take the motherboard out, put it on a piece of cardboard with only the CPU and power. Turn it on and listen for beeps. Then add memory, listen for beeps. Then add video card and listen for beeps and look for video.

Open box motherboards can be hit or miss.
July 31, 2008 3:55:26 PM

not sure about ASUS boards but I know I had to go into the BIOS to enable power to the keyboard and mouse prior to the windows log in screen. Does you GPU have dual ports? If so try the other port on the card. Again, my 8800GTS has dual digital ports and if I use the wrong one the monitor will not work. You could try your GPU in a different PCIE slot to see if that fixes the problem.
July 31, 2008 9:39:38 PM

Thanks for all your guys help so far. I don't hear any beeps when I turn on the motherboard. The system warning speaker on the motherboard is a 4 pin connector next to the power led, power button, and reset button, but I can't find anything that connects to it. I did try taking off everything but the cpu and power. The GPU does have dual ports and I've tried both of them, no joy with either.
August 1, 2008 12:16:34 AM

A friend of mine came over and did some voodoo and was able to fix the problem, thanks a bunch though guys.
!