Configuration of raid

naveen singh

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
hi all,
could u tell me how to configure raid becaz i have 4 hard drive each 80 gb and i m not able to installed raid plz guide me below mail id
singh_ccna@hotmail.com

aldoenviro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
RAID configuration is dependent upon a number of factors. Most notably your RAID controller. A RAID controller is a piece of hardware designed to communicate with your hard drives and allow RAID functionality. Software RAID can be used, but that would only make sense in very specific circumstances. Most modern motherboards come with some sort of RAID option or an add-on card can be purchased quite inexpensively. Once you have a controller, you would need to configure the type of RAID you want. There are multiple flavors of RAID. RAID 1 and RAID 0 are the most commonly available. That is striping and mirroring respectively. Striping adds performance and mirroring adds redundancy. You will also see mention of RAID 0+1 and RAID 5. RAID 0+1 is a combination of striping and mirroring. This gives you the best of both worlds, increasing performance and adding redundancy. RAID 5 is designed to get the most space out of your drives while at the same time giving redundancy. RAID 5 will give you a performance drop in your drives however.

I hope this gets you started.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I wouldn't recommend to use raid at all, imagine you'r in crisis and your os is corrupted and when you come to back up the data?? you cant..you'll find out i was right.