smoothcig

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I read this article. I have an e5200 overclocked to 3.8 GHz (333*11.5). So my current NB FSB strap is (12.5/11.5) * 333 = 361.
The 1333 FSB strap (333) doesn't come into play until around 400 CPU FSB. According to the article, lol, the higher the strap the more stable the system is?
My question is, can I set a lower strap and overclock more or set a higher strap and overclock more? And will the temps be any better by changing the strap (looser internal timings has to equal less load thus lower temps?)

I don't think you completely understand all you know.
If your CPU is running at 333mhz FSB, then it is in fact running at 1333mhz effective, because the buss on your Intel processor is quad pumped.
Your processor's mulitplier is locked, you can lower it, but you cannot raise it over stock settings. Your processor already has a built in function called speed step, that automatically cuts the speed of the processor when it is not needed, and ramps it back up when demand is placed. If you leave everything alone, all this will work perfectly fine without your intervention.

If you want to overclock, the only thing you can do on your system is raise the buss speed. As I said, your multiplier is locked.
But you can lower it if you want too.

smoothcig

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

WOW. I'm not that much of newbie lol. I have C1E (speedstep) disabled and I know my FSB is quad pumped... I also know that my multiplier is locked. Only Extreme Edition processors, and engineering samples, have the multiplier unlocked. With Intel anyways.
I'm talking about the FSB Strap. It's an option in my BIOS on my Asus P5Q that I was curious about because I hate leaving things on auto.
And bus. Not buss.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I dont think it will help you much but: I have e5200 @3.6ghz on p5q-pro, if i change the strap to ANY of the available values, the board goes to some sort of "eternal loop" where it wont post, and go on, off, on, off forever until i clear the CMOS. That always bugged me as i assume AUTO setting picks one of the available values, so I wonder why none of them work when set manually.

smoothcig

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I think I found a sweet spot for the strap. I brought the FSB down to 328 and set the strap to 266. Stable as heck with 1.368 volts. My clock is now 3770 (328*11.5). I have noticed that I can run my 667 Ram at 986 :D and CPU-Z says the FSB is 328 even instead of 332.9 (when it was set to 333). My RAM is stable for 8 passes of memtest86+. Had to raise timings from 5-5-5-15 to 6-5-5-16 though.
I had that eternal loop too! When I set it to anything on 333 FSB it just kept restarting. It was such a pain to clear it without any pliers (had to use toenail clippers LMAO)