Yorkfield Q9450: Optimum Motherboard/RAM?

joelbct

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
This is for a Digital Audio Workstation, running lots of Audio plugins/effects/instruments, but not graphics heavy.

Going with the Q9450 over the Q6600 bec I want the 1333 FSB.

Can anyone recommend a good ATX motherboard in the $200 or under range?

Should I try to to match the memory speed with the FSB speed? In which case, maybe the Intel BOXDX38BT w/ DDR3 1333 memory would be good?

Doesnt seem like they make DDR2 1333....

Also, would be nice to get a graphics card that supports dual output with a linked screen (not just the same screen duplicated twice), used to have a Matrox Card that did this... so you could drag your plugin windows and templates to a side monitor, while working on a project in the main monitor.

Thanks for your help...

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I think that if you'll dig hard enough there was a DDR2 1333 somewhere... but I it's probably not worth it, find a DDR3 mobo. I don't like intel mobos (very restricting and featureless).
and for the graphics, you can do this with any card.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The FSB is quad-pumped and the memory is double, so for FSB1333, you only need DDR2-667, but get DDR2-800.

For the MB, get a P43 board, they are a bit cheaper (~100$) than the P45 and you probably don't need the extra P45 features anyway. But I would go against the Asus boards for the P43, just because the ATX connector seem weirdly placed.

For the dual-display you want, just look for any card that has dual-DVI on the back (if you got 2 LCDs), I think they all support split desktop as well as mirorring. You can get something like an ATI 3650 for ~60$. Plan on any gaming?