asus MOBOs and DDR3 support...

Tags:
  • Asus
  • DDR3
  • Memory
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 7, 2008 3:13:51 PM

Following are the memory specs from 2 different ASUS MOBOs. I was looking at a couple different asus MOBOs when I saw this and it gave me a little concern as to just what to get for RAM and what the MOBO can support. If anybody can put this into laymen's terms, would be appreciated. I notice the specs specifically refers to a "problem" with windows 32bit.....so what if I use vista 64bit?
Basically, I just want to be able to buy one of these boards and install a couple sticks of 2gb DDR3 1600 and have it recognize all 4 gb and work properly. Thanks in advance for any help.

P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n

4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 MHz, Non ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
*Refer to www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lists).
** DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600, it is suggested to use one DIMM per channel
***When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended
**** It is recommended to install the memory modules from the orange slots for better overclocking capability.

P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 2000*/1800*/1600/1333/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Overclocking speed
** For the X.M.P. support, CPUs with FSB 1333 or above are recommended.
*** Refer to www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List).
****When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

More about : asus mobos ddr3 support

November 7, 2008 3:46:55 PM

Don't go ddr3. It won't provide a noticeable increase in performance, and would be more of a hassle than it is worth. If you are set on performance though, wait for the core i7 release, and then go ddr3, it will be much faster.
November 8, 2008 11:37:24 AM

appreciate the advice xNEM3S1Sx ....now, do you know anything about the issue with the asus boards and ddr3?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 8, 2008 12:40:43 PM

Enable memory mapping in the bios and use vista 64 bit and it will recognize 4 gb; possibly more. Get it on black friday if you find any deals. $150 for 4 gigs is a pretty good price.
Related resources
!