GeForce FX 5200 not displaying at native resolution

tyraj219

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
the thing is, i was given a dell dimension e310 as a gift because it was a "media" version (i'm photographer, no gaming, just photoshop, illustrator, and flash).

diligently went about cleaning all the junk off of it 'til i had a relatively fast, clean system (installed huge hard drive, maxed out ram)...but as i'm sure y'all know, the video card is for the birds.

got a Syncmaster 220WM and onboard graphics didn't support native resolution (1680 x 1050)...but fan is just 230 and of course can only install PCI video card (i'm going on what i was told, this may not be correct, was also told can't upgrade fan on this unit due to tower construction? won't fit).

so i went with the e-GeForce FX 5200 (fan max 250 [close enough?], PCI) because couldn't find anything else out there that met both requirements.

installed FX 5200 with accompanying cd, wouldn't display at native resolution. uninstalled driver and did driver sweeper (in safe mode), reinstalled latest drivers from nvidia site...now i can set correct resolution, but the desktop displays larger than the monitor (pans up/down, and left/right).

it's as if the previous resolution (1280 x 1024) is being stretched...in fact, when i access "info" on samsung utility via on-display buttons, it still says "1280 x 1024"

i'm connecting dvi to dvi. been researching this for hours! some say the FX 5200 can be displayed at 1860 x 1050, some say can't. some say you have to connect analog, but my FX 5200 card only has dvi outlet?

have heard that you can create custom resolutions, but each time i tried what i was reading, it didn't work. am afraid of messing up monitor, creating settings that are outside it's parameters.

could anyone tell me exactly how to configure the e-GeForce FX 5200 PCI with the Samsung Syncmaster 220wm (sheesh, maybe i should have just asked that first! :)

Dell Dimension E310
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Service PK 2
Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHZ
2.79 GHZ, 1.99 GM RAM

by the way, eliminated plug and play function for monitor and installed latest driver from Samsung site (also made sure it was digital version)

forgot to say thanks ahead of time!

bandrewfox

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I'm having this same problem with the gxforce fx 5200, but using a dell s2209w monitor. Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I can get my monitor to work just fine using the VGA connection, but when I do DVI it doesn't work.