Sign in with
Your question

finding out if the Video Card you purchasin is compatible w/ your mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2008 5:55:48 AM

i bought one of the cheapest video cards (GeForce 8500 GT) from newegg for $50, waited a whole week for it, only to find out it does not fit in my Asus mobo. i was so pissed i cant even describe how mad i was. my mobo is from 2003, Asus A7N8X to be exact.

so my question is, how do i find out which new cards are still compatible? because i spent so much time researching a good and cheap video card that im starting to doubt anything new would fit inside of my mobo.

and my old card is ATI Radeon 9500pro that has smoked smell coming out of it (smelling it as i type this), so i have no clue how long it will last. it's been doing this for a lil over a week, which is why i ordered a new card.
August 23, 2008 7:10:31 AM

well you go on manifacturer site and find your mobo http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=13&l3=57&l4=0...
Your card is a PCI-E one. Your mobo only got AGP connector, which was the norm before PCI replaced it. The best AGP card out there is the 3850 i believe.

But buying a new system might be a better option.
Related resources
August 23, 2008 9:55:13 AM

anybody know a website that has AGP 8x video cards that i can purchase that are top notch for its times? i really wanna get my moneys worth for my old system and reward myself for **** up on this purchase.
August 23, 2008 9:57:43 AM

If you don't want to change your motherboard, and probably RAM and processor, you can go with a AGP graphics card. I believe the fastest AGP card is HD 3850. AGP graphics cards are more expensive than their PCIe brethren.
August 23, 2008 9:57:49 AM

I'm pretty sure a 6800XT would be a lot faster than your 9500pro. And it is agp, so I would say it would probably be a good choice.

As for running World of Warcraft at max settings, I have no idea, because I don't play it. But if your current card can, then a 6800xt most likely will be able to as well.
!