Sign in with
Your question

Doubt with motherboard choice and with Mem Kingston SLI ready

Last response: in Motherboards
November 7, 2008 5:25:13 PM

Hellos,greets from portugal :) 

Im buying some new stuffs tomorrow, and I quite need opinions to finalize my buying list.

About the board, with the researchs I did, I ended up looking to a Asus P5Q-E, that seems better than a P5Q-Pro. Is it?
Because if it is, the price diference is very low between both. I just want to pick the best one for a gaming/work pc.

Pc Specs will be:
E8400 Intel Core2Duo
Powercolor Hd4870 1gb PCS+
3GB Mem DDR 1066
Seagate 500GB 32MB

P5Q-E
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=...
P5Q-Pro
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=...

Second Doubt. On the memory, im gonna pick 1024Mb DDR2 Kingston CL5 PC2-8500 (1066) HyperX. Those are the cheapest(ddr2 1066) at the moment. But what I wanna know is if those are dual channel..cant find out if they are or not.
The other "problem" is picking between those and 1024Mb DDR2 Kingston CL5 PC2-8500 (1066) HyperX SLI READY.
I dont have Nvidia graphic,but can i still have more quality on a SLI ready Mem model or not?
Will it be helpfull for a Crossfire system?
Will it be safe when matters to hardware conflits/problems between a SLI ready Mem, and an ATI graphic produt?

much apreciated for any future help
November 7, 2008 5:47:11 PM

"SLI Ready" on memory is a scam... you can use it in a crossfire machine just fine and you can use non sli certified on a sli machine.

If the memory comes with two identical sticks then it will be dual channel, you just have to place it in the same colored slots on the MB.

I suspect both the memory models you have chosen will be just fine, go with the cheaper of the two.

As a side note, I have had a couple ASUS boards with Kingston Hyper X memory installed; I found the memory to be as good as any other kind I have used. I really like Kingston.
November 7, 2008 6:39:20 PM

thanks,gonna forget the sli ready thing then.

After a few reading I just need to know if i can put 3GB of memory, 2x 1024MB on Dual channel slots(one 1GB on each dual channel slot),and the latest 1024MB on the non dual channel slot.

Will those 2x 1GB work in dual channel technology anyway? the other 1GB will not be in dual channel technology bu will work as normal mode.

i will not put 2x2GB because its win xp 32bits. I know that way would be no douts, i would be in dual channel mode with 4GB.
Btw, Asus E5Q-E is the board.
Related resources
a c 216 V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 7:12:51 PM

burtzz said:
thanks,gonna forget the sli ready thing then.

After a few reading I just need to know if i can put 3GB of memory, 2x 1024MB on Dual channel slots(one 1GB on each dual channel slot),and the latest 1024MB on the non dual channel slot.

Will those 2x 1GB work in dual channel technology anyway? the other 1GB will not be in dual channel technology bu will work as normal mode.

i will not put 2x2GB because its win xp 32bits. I know that way would be no douts, i would be in dual channel mode with 4GB.
Btw, Asus E5Q-E is the board.

You need to have two identical sets of ram to get dual channel mode. 3gb is a false economy, and there is no need for 1066 ram. C2d cpu's are not sensitive to ram speeds, you will not notice a 1-2% improvement with fast ram
XP will see about 3.4gb of the ram, and run just fine.
I suggest that you get a 4gb kit of DDR2-800 ram.
How can you beat this deal for corsair 4gb kit at $25 after rebate?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 7, 2008 7:23:49 PM

The problem is, I cant use 4GB on xp WHILE using dual channel technology.

Windows will only detect those 3.4gb or whatever value..and dual channel technology will not work because of that conflit with win limitations.

yea, I know, but i dont wanna use Vista or xp 64bit.

thats why im curious if, with the option above, will I get dual channel only from 1GBx2, with an extra 1GB not working in dual channel cuz it has no "twin". Basicaly, if will Dual channel work on 2 memories( the ones on the same color) even with a 1GB on the middle?
November 7, 2008 7:25:26 PM

PS--> that info about dualchannel not working because of the operating system 3,x GB limit is straight from Asus website.
a c 216 V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 8:37:21 PM

burtzz said:
The problem is, I cant use 4GB on xp WHILE using dual channel technology.

Windows will only detect those 3.4gb or whatever value..and dual channel technology will not work because of that conflit with win limitations.

yea, I know, but i dont wanna use Vista or xp 64bit.

thats why im curious if, with the option above, will I get dual channel only from 1GBx2, with an extra 1GB not working in dual channel cuz it has no "twin". Basicaly, if will Dual channel work on 2 memories( the ones on the same color) even with a 1GB on the middle?

You must be misreading something.
XP will work just fine with two sticks of 2gb, or 4 sticks of 1gb in dual channel mode.
If for some reason you want 3gb in two channel mode, get two sticks of 1gb and two sticks of 512mb. Put 1.5gb in each channel. But... I think that is a bad idea unless you akready have the 512 sticks. Windows does not know about single or dual channel, all it sees is ram. It is the motherboard that determines if you operate in single or dual channel. For what it's worth, the extra .6gb that xp will get with 4gb will give you more performance than dual vs. single channel will.
November 7, 2008 8:44:55 PM

ok got it, thanks.

In that case im gonna choose between 2x1GB or 2x2GB.. only a matter of money.
!