Hard Drive or Motherboard? No video....

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Well, my system is going on 2 years old, and I thought I was doing well until recently. So, I am back on here to ask for your opinion, or best guess in trouble shooting.....

Symptoms:
A. Approximately 2 - 3 months ago, I noticed over time my system began to lock up unexpectedly. So, naturally I'd just reboot, and most of the time everything seemed okay. It seemed to happened when I was really putting the systems through the ringer w/ multi apps open, or running defrag and still working on computer.
B. Finally, yesterday, the system locked up, and while I was defragging (2nd time), and running my browser, as well as a few other programs. So, I reboot.
C. Nothing happens, the systems seems to fire up, and I hear a hard drive turning, but I know it isn't fully loading because my webcam usually turns left to right after the driver is loaded during boot up.
D. I do not see video, but at the same time, I don't think the system fully loads, as I would hear "the windows theme", when vista loads to the login screen.

Possible issues:
1. My hard drive (C:) is a Raptor, and approximately 3 - 4 years old.
2. Everything else on the system is less than 2 years old.

My guess:
1. It is the motherboard or hard drive. It seems motherboards go out more often than anything else. I don't think it's the memory. As I said, the system seemed to be running great before the lock up. But again, over time (last 3 months), I missed a possible problem when I had repetitive lock ups, about 1 - 2 every 2 weeks.

My next step is to trouble shoot, and disconnect the harddrive. Or, start there and work backwards to see if I can get the BIOS screen to load. Or, until I see something.

In advance, thank you for your help.

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
I forgot to mention, my monitor is not picking up a signal. I tried switching DVI slots on the video card with no success.

Most everything on the board works, fans, etc.... So, I am questioning the video card and hard drive now.

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
*** Update ***

I replaced my motherboard and video card and still having problems, or getting no signal to my monitor, or my monitor is not picking up a signal. I was convinced it had to be my video card or motherboard, or failed hard disk. Now that I replaced my motherboard and video card, I am scratching my head. I have a few questions...

A. My memory cards are GSKILL SDRAM DDR2 1000 (2x 2 gb), but my motherboard (ASROCK G41M-GS LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX) is 1066/1333, is this a potential problem? I have my FSB (?) or jumpers set to 1066 on my motherboard?

B. I plan to have my monitor checked at a local store to see if they can receive a signal when the monitor is hooked up to a working computer. If they receive a signal, then I know it is a problem within my hardware. If they don't receive a signal, then I am convinced my monitor is stuck in some type of "twilight zone" and cannot recognize an analog or digital signal. I will call Samsung (model Sync Master 245BW). If I am not mistaken, they've experienced problems with this unit(s) receiving a signal.

CPU = Core 2 Quad Q6600
Graphics = ATI Radeon 4890 (New)