how do you like this $1500 newegg build

well to start id like to say that this is my first home build that im im thinking of buying (ive helped out a few friends).

MOBO: ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $130

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor- OEM $180 (im assuming they are all G0 by now)

VIDEO: POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Retail $285 (or whatever manufacturer is cheapest)

MEMORY: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit- Retail $78

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $60

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail $114

I feel like the system is pretty solid and the total comes to $1500 with an acer 22" monitor, a dvd burner, a 75 dollar case, a zalman fan, and vista ultimate retail.

the only place where i wasnt sure was the MOBO
, andy suggestions on improoving that are welcome!!
8 answers Last reply
More about 1500 newegg build
  1. Looks like you got the basics covered good. I would buy a wd 640gb hard drive instead ($90) because its a faster drive, not because its bigger.

Good build

Spunks
  2. thanks,

i guess i was still wondering if anyone knew if there was a better MOBO out there for this build, cause motherboards still confuse me :p
  3. they are all pretty close in performance now days...pick one based on the features you want !
  4. Make that P5Q a P5Q Pro, or even a GA-X48-DS4 or P5E Deluxe X48. The P5Q Pro is $150 at newegg, the others around $225. They will let you add a second card later in Crossfire. Your PSU is already fine for that.

+1 for the WD 640GB

Get a case with good cooling. Antec 900 is in a great sale at newegg, for example. RC-690 if you hate lights.

Is that DVD burner SATA?
  5. I like your mobo choice, stick with the P45, you do not need to use Crossfire, nor should you as single card solutions will always be superior to multiple card solutions on many metrics.

+1 for the WD 640GB with 16M

Don't neglect audio, a good sound card is music to your ears.

Intel Gigabit NIC is a dependable and affordable add-on.

Think long and hard about your case, get a good one and it can last you forever. I have a 7 year old case that beats 99 and 44/100ths percent of all new cases and has seen 6 different mobos and 6 different video cards in it. Beauty and the Beast!
  6. thanks for all the advice.

Im thinking about the crossfire just for the future, not now. Im not gettin a sound card yet, but I most likely will, 'cause im a bit of an audiophile.

I went with the antec three hundred as a case because its not flashy and its got a solid design.

I do like the 640 gb drive over my previous choice, but i think ill hold off on the gigabit NIC for now.

thanks again
  7. IMHO that PSU is to much for your rig, dotn get me wrong, it's an awesome psu but only if u plan to crossfire and as i see ur mobo dont have double pci-e ... you prolly want to get an 600W cpu like an OCZ or such.

I dont knwo how that cost 1500$, I gathered all those items up and get like 1300$.. just a thought
  8. +1 for a P5Q Pro

Check out the NZXT Tempest case, I love it. Great airflow, and very easy to set up
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems