Nokia 8290 went from CA to MI, Says "Sim Card Not Accepted"

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 2, 2005 9:31:59 PM

I was using my Nokia 8290 for Cingular service in CA, and sold it on eBay to
someone in Michigan. When he puts his Cingular SIM card in the phone, it
says "SIM card not accepted". Is there any reason for this to happen, other
than the phone being damaged in transit?

Thanks....
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:16:18 AM

john wrote:
> I was using my Nokia 8290 for Cingular service in CA, and sold it on
> eBay to someone in Michigan. When he puts his Cingular SIM card in
> the phone, it says "SIM card not accepted". Is there any reason for
> this to happen, other than the phone being damaged in transit?

Was your SIM still marked PacBell? (That's what I'm leading up to, in a
way.) SBC's Pacific Bell Mobile Services' MNC-MMC is 310-170. BellSouth
Mobility DCS (serving North and South Carolina, with coastal Georgia) is
310-150. Both are the original GSM parts of Cingular Wireless.

When Cingular made its great leap forward to all GSM, converting from
TDMA, the assigned MNC-MMC in the South, Midwest, Southwest (AR & TX),
and Northeast is 310-410. This is what your former 8290 is rejecting, in
your buyer's SIM. Were your phone unlocked, it wouldn't matter. There's
a fourth MNC-MMC in the Cingular system now from ATTWS, 310-380,
available for further confusion.

It's been reported that Cingular is making unlock codes for its branded
phones available again. Read further in this newsgroup. Write to
simunlockcode (at) cingular (dot) com; with your name, account number
(or phone number), phone make & model, and IMEI. You need to be a
current customer of at least ninety days standing.

Please note, that the Nokia 8290 is a singleband 1900 MHz GSM phone,
without the 800 (850) Mhz band your buyer will need in most of Michigan.

John C.
February 3, 2005 12:39:09 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:31:59 -0800, "john"
<johnbkim@myfastELEPHANTmail.com> wrote:

>I was using my Nokia 8290 for Cingular service in CA, and sold it on eBay to
>someone in Michigan. When he puts his Cingular SIM card in the phone, it
>says "SIM card not accepted". Is there any reason for this to happen, other
>than the phone being damaged in transit?

It's likely that the phone thinks it's on a different network.
California and Nevada were formerly Pacific Bell Wireless before they
became cingular and were in MCC/MNC 310-17. It may be that the
network in Michigan is not 310-17. I'm not sure though I don't even
know that Michigan was a 1900 network even. The 8290 is a 1900 only
network phone. But that won't matter anyway if the phone is
incompatible with a cingular SIM card for Michigan since it's probably
locked to the CA/NV Pac Bell/Cingular network.