PP-DLW No Video or Beeping ...

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hello,

I have a Asus PP-DLW motherboard that starts-up but there is no video.

The system emits no beeps and just stays on forever. I don't think there is any issue with the videocard since the num-lock key on the keyboard is unresponsive as well.

Anything I can do?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chris K.

ram1009

Distinguished
Are you sure your PC has a speaker. Many new boxes don't. The last time this happened to me it turneed out to be the RAM. As soon as I changed it all was well. If you have a stick that is known to be good install it. If that cures it install the other one stick at a time to narrow it down.

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
OK, I tried to change the memory and now the system does not turn on at all!

I have doubled checked all settings and put the original memory back in to no avail.

:(

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
OK, sorry about this but scratch the above post. The system came on after letting it sit for a few minutes but the original problem persists (no video or beeps).

I have a small 2-pin to 4-pin speaker. I have flipped the connection for the speakers both ways but no beeps or anything happens.

Thanks for your help!

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Yes, both the 24 pin ATX power connector and the 8 pin 12 Volts CPU connector is connected to the motherboard.

Anything else I might have overlooked?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
First off list all of your systems specs.

Secondly here are some basic steps you can try:

1. Make sure everything is seated properly and the power connectors are all hooked up properly
2. Remove everything except the cpu, 1 stick of RAM, and the video card and try booting.
3. Move the stick of ram into a different slot and try booting again
4. Move the video card to a different pci slot and try again (if multiple slots)
5. Take the mobo out of the case and set it on a cardboard box and try starting it from there, also with just the ram, cpu, and video card.

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks so much for your help! I have made progress. Here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Asus PP-DLW Dual Socket-604
Processor: Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz Processors (2)
RAM: G.SKILL Value 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT (4)
Video Card: PowerColor ATI Radeon9600 Pro Video Card, 128MB, AGP 8x, DVI+CRT+T
RAID Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2210 PCI-X SATA II Controller Card
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (2)
DVD-RW: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 (2)
Floppy Disk: SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP
Power Supply: FSP Group FX700-GLN 700W ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC
System Case: Rosewill R318-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

As for the troubleshooting steps - the following will seem a little crazy:

1. Took out all system components except for what was necessary (CPUs, RAM - 1 stick, Video Card) System booted up with Video! Changed the time and everything seemed OK.
2. Added on the controller card - System displayed symptoms as described before. So I initially though that the RAID card was the issue. Took the card out.
3. Now, back to step 1, system will not boot again (even with bare essentials).

I have problems starting up the system now, EVEN when I try to short the power jumpers.

Once in a while the system will start up (sometimes on its own) and emit 2 short beeps, a pause, and then around 4-6 short beeps (I wish I can be specific but it is so hard to get the system to even start up now!)

So, my question is, where can I go from here? I am not sure if the problem is with the CPUs or the motherboard (or RAM)?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!

ckoeber

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Since my last post was kinda long, I feel I need to clarify the current status of the system:

The system now currently does not boot at all.

The keyboard (PS/2) has the NUM-LOCK, CAP-LOCK, and SCROLL-LOCK lights on when it is plugged into this system (and doesn't change state when you press them).

Currently I have just one stick of RAM, the video card, and the CPU.

Anything I might have done to cause this and anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chris K.

G

i have the same problem with my pp-dlw board. i added a stick of ram and things were working tried to set it to dual ram mode and then i started having the same no beep symptoms. ive tried all possible ram configs as well as diffrent video and powersupply powers other systems. also tried the speaker but couldnt get it to beep. any new thoughts ??