New homebuilt has error installing Vista

alrasl

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Built my new desktop, all the components (seemingly) work fine. I'm fairly novice, but I successfully built my last desktop. Asus mobo recgonized all the hardware in the BIOS. Went to install Vista next, got this error:

Windows cannot acess the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x800701E7

D: should be my hard-drive, I haven't set any drive names... think that's the HD default. Using a 500gb Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0gb/s. Mobo is an Asus PQ5 P45.

Anyone know what could be causing this error? If you need more info, ask away. Not sure what's relavent and not.

yeah i've only seen similiar errors with faulty DVD drives. Could be the disk but i've never had that problem personally. Try using another machine to copy the disk. If you can't straight copy it. use vlite to make a custom install then burn it to disk.

My gateway will not read a legit copy of vista. (I was trying to upgrade from home to ultimate) I made the vlite install and it read it fine from a burned disk.

I don't think there is any copy protection on the vista disk because it's the key that you pay for. So you should be able to copy it from another machine.

Most DVD roms will have no trouble reading a burned disk, however i wouldn't want to keep a ROM that couldn't read an orginal.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
When I say bootleg I mean cracked, but a copied CD is always in question unless it's being read from the same drive that it was burned on.

alrasl

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
The Vista DvD is legitimate, ordered it from Newegg. It doesn't seem to be scratched or damage in any way.

I saw something on another forum that the fact that I have a SATA hard drive, and an IDE DvD drive could be causing the problem with the install. Switching to a SATA DvD drive might solve my issue. Can anyone back this as a possible solution?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would give it a shot, they are relatively cheap. I had two relatively new PATA, DVD-R and DVD, drives and I bought two new SATA DVD drives when I did my last build just to get them on the SATA and free up the PATA for old HDs.