Gaming/Video Build

drumsetjunky

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
This is my first time to build a computer, so I'm new to the scene...
I've upgraded my PSU, GPU, and RAM before but that's it...
Mainly this computer will be used for watching videos and gaming...

If any of you have suggestion/concerns or tips I would REALLY appreciate it!
Being the first time, i'm nervous i'm going to screw it up...

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10918347

Also, if any of you have any ways to cut the cost down but still keep key features it would also be appreciated...the old lady told me to keep it around $1500 oops.... :non:

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10262428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102748

Newegg's combo thing prevents me from adding the videocard to the wishlist properly.

With the set-up I put together, well, you'd just get a higher performing machine-in all aspects. I ditched the blu-ray disk player, as I think putting one in a computer this early in their induction is a big risk and it seems overpriced. Also, no need for paying an extra $80 for ultimate over home, unless you're putting a huge network together.

I kept the case the same, as I figured you picked it for a reason. I could justify all the hardware selections I made, but that'd take paragraphs to go over.

drumsetjunky

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
As far as Ultimate edition...doesn't it come with some cosmetic features as well that home doesn't have?
And I do have about 8-10 computers on my network at any given time, so networking tools do help...
i would like to get a nice sizable amount of ram as well...is there not a significant increase in performance comparing 4gigs and 8gigs?
and First off I am an Nvidia guy...I guess that the 4800series benchmarks better, but I really have never had much experience with ati...
I've heard alot of games don't like ati gpu's...
I would like to run SLi eventually as well....

anymore suggestions?

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Don't play favorites with ATI and Nvidia? Pick the one that performs better.
Cosmetic Features? You mean bloat, that slows everything? No it's not exclusive to Ultimate, I'm quite sure Home Premium comes with the same Aero that Ultimate does( If you're talking about Dreamscapes or w/e they are called, then that might be an Ultimate Exclusive. I really discourage such things anyways). Also, the networking features, they aren't absent from Home Premium; it's just Ultimate caters more to the network professional iirc.

You'll really only use 8GB of ram if you feel compelled to run Multiple HEAVY Ram intensive apps at the same time (Like hardcore Photoshopping, etc.). There's an article on the gains over 4GB, but I'm almost positive you'll see no benefits in games. Spending that much on Ram seems highly unjustified for the needs of your computer and the real world gains you'd see.

Seriously, You'll get a higher, more stable overclock out of an Intel Chipset based motherboard( Especially from DFI). Furthermore, the benefits of the ATI cards over the Nvidia right now are pretty amazing. There's absolutely no reason to not get ATI, just 'because you've heard bad things' The benchmarks speak for themselves. With the motherboard and powersupply I picked out, you can Crossfire in the future without hassle to boost your performance.

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
as far as im aware SLi is better than X-fire but this will change in the future.

HD4000 are best out at moment buy a good one with an upgraded fan OCed out the box.

and get an 32 bit OEM of premium ultimate just isnt worth it. and 64 is still having issues with games crossfire stuff like that

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Jasonbnd you obviously don't know about multi-monitor differences with CF and SLI, but I'm not going to pick on you. It seems your opinions on the interfaces are a bit ill-informed.

To the OP, Vista's SP1 made a large stride in performance differences. People still like to bash Vista because it's easy, but honestly, in most new benchmarks I've seen, you honestly couldn't humanly tell the difference between which OS you are using once the Game is going.

What do you think about the Build I selected for you?

MysteriousWind

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6693154&WishListTitle=Sub

comes out to be $1,466.89 not counting the $70ish in rebates.

Why I picked what I did.

Antec 900 is an awesome case (you can toss some fans in if you want more cooling). Although a case is a personal preference and what you picked isn't that much more money.

S1283, great cooling (http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm). It'll help get you a nice overclock. If you want you can add the mounting bracket.

The Corsair PSU, running 2 4870's may be pushing the 750W PSU, there is a 1000W Corsair PSU if you'd rather.

ATI 4870, for $260 (after rebate) it's damn hard to beat. I used to be an NVidia person as well, but ATI's 48xx are at an amazing price right now.

the Mushkin RAM, it'll overclock if you want it to. You really don't need 8 GB of ram, in the future if you find out you do then you can pick up another set of 4gb.

You could cut the cost more (and maybe pick up a 2253 Samsung monitor) if you go with a normal dvd drive instead of blu-ray, but that's your choice.

The X48 board will let you run a second 4870 when the time comes that you need more performance and have some cash.

The HDD, I like the extra space for music and movies.

EDIT: Last I looked the Sunbeam cooler wasn't on newegg but now it is, that will perform a little better than the Xigmatek S1283.

These are all good suggestions. Go look carefully at the numbers and you'll see that ATI is the only real choice, probably for the rest of this year.

On the blu-ray thing... Yeah, DVD burners used to cost $140 and were far slower than they are now. Just wait 6 months and you'll get one for far less.

drumsetjunky

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Well to say the least...you priests of ATI have converted yet another mindless GeForcian....

@effel I like the set up you selected...It gave me $$ room for a few changes if needed/wanted.
I am a little concerned about the PSU however, 750W seems low to run a Xfire setup later on, especially since I'll prolly have dropped a couple more drives, etc in the case at that point...

I heard about the Mojave experiment that Microsoft did with Vista, really kinda changed my outlook...
I spent the weekend over at a family members that had Vista Ult.x64 and I had some time to try all the bells and whistles out...yeah its bloat...but its some fine looking fluff stuff!

Mysterious Wind-Minus the missing 22" monitor I would like to have, I liked the selections as well...

To be honest, with the recent rethinking of what I'm going to do on this project, I'm a bit overwhelmed with which parts to go with... I'm still getting familiar with all the brands/chipsets/features...

I'd really like to have a board that will allow me to step into the pc modding/overclocking arena with some what ease, but won't limit me when I'm ready for some more advanced stuff either...hope that makes sense.

I really appreciate all the help that you have all sent my way...this forum is really the first place where people are rational and willing to truly help a brotha out...

You could save some cash by dropping the X48 in favor of a P45 board such as the ASUS P5Q Pro.

As long as you aren't gaming above 1680x1050 the P45s seem to be quite competitive in crossfire performance, but at higher resolutions they fall well behind.

Both the lists you have been given are great.

You could get a really big PSU, it's a solid decision in that it will last longer. The Corsair 750 is certainly enough for two 4850s with a comfortable margin. If I were building from scratch and had to watch the budget I would get that.

I like to throw lots of cash at the parts that won't need to be changed in two years, like the PSU and case. My current old dual-rail has gone through three upgrades but it's nearing the end.