Visiontek AtI 4850 preforming poorly...

hamzanaeem002

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Although I have completly cleaned all my old drivers with driver cleaner pro and have uninstalled all my previous drivers and replaced them with the latest ones from the ATI website, I continue to get poor results from my 4850. For example when trying to run Unreal Tournament 3 when I start up the game it gives me a warning saying that my system does not meet the minimum specs to run the game. Also when I play games like Crysis it sets the optimal system settings as everything low and the res as 800x600.
I have tried replacing my drivers numerous times yet it still preforms poorly. Can this problem be caused by a faulty graphics card? Could it be that my motherboard is not compatible with this video card? Or could there be another problem? If someone could please help soon I would be very greatful. Thanks in advance!

I have the following setup:
4X 1GB 667 Ram
AMD AThlon X2 4800+
Ati Radeon 4850
and a 22" LCD
550Watt Cooler Master PSU
My motherboard is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us

Thanks!

hamzanaeem002

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks but I have the latest dual optimizer installed already and the Pc does recognize it as 4850. I also used the same driver cleaner as the link provided. Any other suggestion?

OK, coolnquiet downclocks your cpu, when it does, the game reads it at a lower actual rate than your cpu is capable of. Just hit play anyways. Is your fps that bad? Give us more info about game play/fps

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I have very similar specs as your computer and my 4850 is getting all the problems you have stated so far. Maybe we can figure this out together.

azkyte

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I'm sorry to ask, but did u plug in the 6 pin power connection on the card to the psu?

Also in UT3 are you running the maps with the physics pack or mod on it?

Can we get a screenshot of your GPU stats from you computer? it might be a bad card

After reading the whole thread, I noticed that you didnt state the settings on which you are trying to play on for both games.

ALSO the link to your mobo is dead

hamzanaeem002

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Sorry about the motherboard link didn't notice that. The 6 pin power connection is connected so far I have been trying to play on everything max in UT3 but I barely reach a max of 20fps in 1680x1050. And for Crysis it runs really low frames when I try on High but on 1024x768. I will get screenshots later on along with another link for the mobo.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Suprised nobody susgested this, but it could be that motherboard. Odds are its running at 8x, or even 4x. There was a guy up here not too long ago with a Dell that had a 680i board in it, that was locked at 8x.

Have you tried any other games, or benchmarking tools such as 3Dmark. If not, I susgest running 3dmark and compare your scores with similar systems. If the card is faulty, youll easily be able to tell. I wouldnt necessarily tie low FPS to a faulty card so easily. Hold off on the RMA.

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
70%? wow!!! is that healthy for the card?
And I are you talking 65 at idle with that fan speed?

I run my 4870 @ 38% and its loud but the card stays fairly cool. I couldn't Imagine the noise at 70%.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Benchmarkers got 97C on the same 70% fan load.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870-and-hd-4850/6/
What did you use to stress it? Typical games don't put gpus under full load. It's like how you'll use Prime95 to stress cpu instead of Microsoft Office. Use a gpu stress utility like Furmark instead. Use standard settings, (default resolution, no AA, no AF), stress mode for at least 30 minutes for temperature to stabilize.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well I dont play benchmark programs, so im not worried about that. After playing Supreme Commander on max for awhile it peaked at 69c. About the same with C&C3, and CoD4. I have a NZXT Tempest case with very good wire management. Have two 120mm fans blowing air to the fan and one hitting the side of the card, disconnecting these and the temps go up roughly 15c.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Supreme Commander is cpu bottlenecked, and C&C3 is hardcapped at 30fps by the game itself. Like I said, those don't nearly reach full load. You may not care for solid performance testing, but others do. It's established practice to post full load results. Others will assume you're adhering to the same standard as themselves. Don't measure yourself by a different rule and then post flawed results to mislead others.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Real world results are not a flawed result. Sorry. Not amount of forum expertise is going to sway me otherwise. No offense, eventhough I understand what you are saying.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Nothing wrong with posting your temperatures. You should just have made it clear that those are not full stress results, which you didn't do. Stressed temperatures are the assumed norm. If you don't say so, they'll assume those low numbers are from benchmark stress.