Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2008 12:12:45 PM

So after a huge struggle I finally got everything put together with my new computer, waited a week for an RMA'd PSU, but besides being confused(first time I did this) I finally got the thing running. So I wanted to check everything out... And I can't figure out if the temperatures are ok?

Using a...
q9450(not ocing)
s1283
HD4870
EP35-DS3L
4gb Gskill 1066

And here's what I'm seeing... I don't know if it takes awhile for temperatures to drop(only been running a few hours) or if these are fine. Don't know about much of this stuff but I figured I'd get a HSF, then I read some stuff and noticed people said there temps were lower and they were OCing, while I'm not and they are at this idle.

CPUID, CPUZ screenshots
http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61623371bi4.jp...

Edit...
Oh, using AS5 as paste, I am pretty sure the HSF and CPU were tightned enough I just didn't want to snap the MB with the screw brackets. I think I applied it right, again first time building a computer, I was dismayed when it didn't turn on first time, but that was a DOA PSU. I was overjoyed when it actually turned on with a new PSU. My case is medicore I think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any help would be great, I'm semi-competent, but not well versed in alot of this stuff. Took me awhile to figure out that the speed was slow because of CE1 and SS.

More about : question cpu temps

Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 1:07:03 PM

RealTemp is supposed to report 45NM CPUs temps more accurately.
August 1, 2008 1:12:27 PM

WR2 said:
RealTemp is supposed to report 45NM CPUs temps more accurately.

Ahh... Well looking at those, what do you think? With what I am using. Something wrong? Or everything look ok?

Oh, and thank you for your help, this 3d06 is almost finished dling then I can try that so see load temps.
August 1, 2008 1:18:53 PM

No doubt you are using the stock cpu cooler, they are not brilliant.And for a very small amount (£15/25$) you can get one of these , an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775), they are wonderful. Extremely quiet and efficient (mine runs at 550rpm on an overclocked 3ghz e6750 ).
You're graphics card and harddrive are running about right so your case seems ventilated enough, stick one of these on and you will loose 10degrees I'm sure.
August 1, 2008 1:19:55 PM

bf2142-rules-ok said:
No doubt you are using the stock cpu cooler, they are not brilliant.And for a very small amount (£15/25$) you can get one of these , an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775), they are wonderful. Extremely quiet and efficient (mine runs at 550rpm on an overclocked 3ghz e6750 ).
You're graphics card and harddrive are running about right so your case seems ventilated enough, stick one of these on and you will loose 10degrees I'm sure.

I'm actually using a S1283 so that's why I'm concerned, I didn't even install the stock HSF.
August 1, 2008 1:38:04 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about temperatures. There isn't much else you can do than apply some paste and attach your heatsink. As long as you don't screw that up (I couldn't imagine how), you're fine.

Sure, you could buy a better CPU-cooler if you're interested in OC'ing. But other than that, a slightly hotter CPU makes no difference at all.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:00:44 PM

Can you list your VID?
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:14:44 PM

What under load temps did you get?
August 1, 2008 2:18:21 PM

WR2 said:
What under load temps did you get?

53 47 49 49 While running 3D06... Little confused about that said my benchmarks were 14000 but I didn't understand when it did the CPU test that the FPS was 0-2.

Those temperatures were a guesstimate(but within 2-3 degrees I forgot to write em down before I did some fidegting with the bracket) I'm gonna run it again, I wanted to open the thing up and try to see if I could tighten the retention bracket more, I could, but the temperatures are the same idle as they were before.

For the other person, I don't know what VID is :( 
But I'll post if If you can let me know:) 

Again thanks for all the help, hopefully I can figure this out if something is wrong but I read alot of people's posts on newegg saying that their idle temps with the S1283 were about 10c lower than what mine are now.
August 1, 2008 2:21:04 PM

From looking at your numbers on the inital post I think you should be ok. I have done quite a bit of research looking at other people's temps. As was mentioned before use RealTemp...it is better for the 45nm processors. Speedfan and HW Monitor are still using alrorithms for 65nm processors I believe...from reading. Also, there is a lots of talks as to the sensitivity and unreliability of the core temp sensors. Some people are sticking to the Tcase temperature, as that is what Intel and your BIOS are supposed to be using for control and preventing overheating. Your temps are in line with mine at idle.
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:27:18 PM

Leave the side of the case open during the next test.
Your temps are higher than expected with that HS but not yet critical.
Not what you'd want to see BEFORE you start up OC'ing though.
You don't have to run the whole benchmark - just capture the temps when they seem to have hit the highest mark.
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:30:13 PM

Using a benchmark like 3DMark06 is helpful so that you can repeat the same workload over and over again.
That way any of the "fidgeting" you do you'll be able to see if you're helping (or hurting) lower the temps.
Same for OC'ing - lets you know what effect the changes you're making are having, if any.
August 1, 2008 2:37:45 PM

Hmm...
Just ran it one more time this time got 53 43 53 53
Don't understand why C1 is always lower then the other 3 by a decent amount.

Oh, and I don't plan on OCing if that affects anything, I just thought the temps would be lower, I got the HSF because the room this computer is gonna spend the most of the time in is pretty warm(only room in the house that is this hot) like around 80-82degree Fahrenheit. Room it's in now is about 73ish F.

I just don't understand with an aftermarket HSF that the temperatures are sorta around what the stock would be(from researching, I don't know much if anything about this).

With the door open I got... 51 42 49 50
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:44:04 PM

C1 might have a weak sensor. Run the Test Sensor option with RealTemp.
And yes - those are temps I'd expect to see with the stock Intel HSF
August 1, 2008 2:50:07 PM

WR2 said:
C1 might have a weak sensor. Run the Test Sensor option with RealTemp.
And yes - those are temps I'd expect to see with the stock Intel HSF

C0-5
C1-3
C2-9
C3-9

I don't really know what I can do... Returning the HSF is kinda not an option since I sorta butcher'd some of the grills putting on that stupid fan's rubber hooky things, so a few of em are bent a little.

I don't think it had anything to do with the paste, I did it exactly how it showed.

Basically I'm lost...
If I can't get this figured out do I need to be worried about running games or anything, or is this fine?
I mean, since I don't plan on OCing, can I get by or is something gonna break/overheat/?
August 1, 2008 2:55:48 PM

I'm no expert, but it's probably because you named your computer PIECEOFSHIT. :) 
August 1, 2008 3:00:16 PM

atrain said:
I'm no expert, but it's probably because you named your computer PIECEOFSHIT. :) 

Ya, little frustrated at everything... Got a couple gashes on my knuckles from putting it together, and still for some reason have a dreary feeling in my gut somethings gonna break or stop working on it. Probably why I'm so concerned with this HSF temperatures.
a c 203 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 3:02:27 PM

If your current room temp is about 73F and you're getting 53C underload - when the room temp is 83F you'd expect 58C CPU temps. Thats about what you'd want to see with a max 24/7 OC in my opinion.
There is no danger in that - but you'll want to keep an eye on your temps over the next couple of days.

Explain how you have the HDT-1283 installed. HS Fan facing the RAM pointing back toward the rear case fan and blowing air through the HS?

I was surprised to see your case has 3 fans - I'd expect to see a lower temp with the side panel on. The case actually looks pretty good to me.
August 1, 2008 3:08:13 PM

WR2 said:
If your current room temp is about 73F and you're getting 53C underload - when the room temp is 83F you'd expect 58C CPU temps. Thats about what you'd want to see with a max 24/7 OC in my opinion.
There is no danger in that - but you'll want to keep an eye on your temps over the next couple of days.

Explain how you have the HDT-1283 installed. HS Fan facing the RAM pointing back toward the rear case fan?

I was surprised to see your case has 3 fans - I'd expect to see a lower temp with the side panel on. The case actually looks pretty good to me.

The only way it would actually fit without touching the NB was facing down towards the 4870 blowing air right over the NBhs. If I had it blowing towards the ram/front of the computer it would cover 2 ram slots, if I had it facing top towards the pSU there would be like .25 inches between the fan and the PSU. I don't remember why I didn't try it facing the exhaust fan, I think it woulda touched metal/metal with NBhs, not sure though.

Are you thinking it's the HSF that is the problem or something else? I would love to figure it out but one thing I'm dreading is having to take it off, because of the retention bracket i'd have to remove the MB, I might die alittle inside if I have to go through all the junk again lol.

EDIT... Which way is the fan supposed to be mounted? The directions(are awful) show it blowing air away from the HS, is it supposed to blow into the HS? That wouldn't make much sense.
August 1, 2008 3:50:24 PM

Just posted a question earlier today about the orientation of the 1283. It seems the fan blows cool air through the heatsink. So you want the fan on the heatsink on the opposite side of where you want to blow the air. In your case(pun not intended :) ) you will probably want to blow your hot air out of the exhaust fan on the back or your case, which means, the fan part of the HSF will be closer to the ram.
August 1, 2008 4:15:01 PM

atrain said:
Just posted a question earlier today about the orientation of the 1283. It seems the fan blows cool air through the heatsink. So you want the fan on the heatsink on the opposite side of where you want to blow the air. In your case(pun not intended :) ) you will probably want to blow your hot air out of the exhaust fan on the back or your case, which means, the fan part of the HSF will be closer to the ram.

Weird... So I want the fan that's connected to the HSF to blow air right on the big towerish grill thingy? Not away? Basically like this HeatSinkFan--->BigGrillThingy? Instead of <-----HeatSinkFang(BigGrillThingy)?

I don't know why I can't comprehend that but it makes little sense to me... If the fans connected to the HS why would it be shooting air right on it? Aren't stock HSF blowing air off it, towards the case areas?

Edit... Yah so I tried that, the temperatures actually are higher with the fan blowing on the HS. Wow am I getting frustrated.
August 1, 2008 5:33:37 PM

Is your fan on the right way? There are arrows on the top, and one of them should be pointing towards the heatsink.

I don't think whether the fan is blowing onto or away from the heatsink makes a terrible amount of difference, because a fan sucks and blows. Either way, cool air moves over the heatsink and warm air is pushed away from it. Of course you don't want to blow air onto the processor, which is why other heatsinks which are horizontally laid blow air away from the heatsink.

When you took off the HSF, did you look at how your thermal junk settled? Is it an even thin layer covering the CPU?

[EDIT] Here's my topic about this, maybe it'll help you see how it goes:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254216-31-question-bout-xigmatek-1283-antec
!