3.4ghz Dual-Core or 3.0ghz Quad-Core?

Dannar

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Ok, so the question is, Which is a better option for a machine to get more performance out of a 4870x2.

Athlon BE 5400 @3.4 ghz (Air)
or
Phenom 9950 BE @3.0 ghz (Air)

Are 4 cores going to not throttle the pcb as much as 2 cores? Or does the amount of cores not matter and the only relevance is the highest speed of a couple cores?

I'm trying to decide whether to replace my burnt out cpu with an in-expensive dual-core now and wait for the high end 45nm Deneb's to be released, or whether it won't matter and I should just get a high end quad-core now.

-Dannar

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I know you're gonna get more lengthy explanations in a bit, but here's a quick one... it depends on what games you play. Games that are fully optimized for greater than two cores would benefit from the Phenom... also, I believe clock-for-clock the Phenom is faster than the Athlons... sooo... with the exception of price, and assuming those are your only two options, I don't see any reason to go with with the Athlon. Phenom it is.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

What games out there now are optimized for more than 2 cores? I don't remember seeing any (even Crysis is only dual core optimized). I don't see any new games coming out in the next year supporting quads yet.

LOL. Go to Task Manager and see how many processes you are running right now. Let me guess, between 28 and 57? Even if a game only uses one core or two, it may still work better on a quad because cores 3 and 4 can take care of the extra junk and the game gets to use its cores without sharing them with other things.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

The quads here do marginally better than dual core. Maybe by 20% from 28FPS to 33 FPS (at the same clockspeeds), I got this from Tom's chart (not the best source but oh wells).

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

The number of tasks aren't divided among the cores that simply. And most of these tasks aren't running when you're playing games (CPU usage at 0%), so I don't see how that interferes with gaming (other than taking up more RAM).

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Please correct me if I'm wrong about my above post.

Unless I'm missing something there, but I'm pretty sure that's how Windows handles resources.

OK, what about uploads/downloads, winamp, movie players, and whatever other things people might have on while playing? Are you closing off everything when you start a game? If you do, then sure, a quad won't add any value.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

Okay, uploads and downloads I agree (but they take up what, 1-2% of your CPU usage with bittorrent). I've only used winamp while I'm playing games (but that only takes up 1% of my CPU usage, I'm running it right now) . Be real here, yes, you won't close off everything like IM's and your browser (in that case they're idle as well), but you actually watch movies when you play games? I can imagine some people can do that when they have a dual monitor setup.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Alright, I admit I forget those times when the annoying anti-virus auto scans pop out and you're like wow my comp is lagging (I've rarely noticed that problem ever since I swapped from single core to dual core) and maybe a quad core will reduce that lag even more.

lafery

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I would consider how long you intend to keep that new CPU. For short-mid term (1-2 years), I would go with dual cores. But more and more apps will be coming out optimized for multiple cores, so if you intend to keep that CPU for longer, you will want a quad core. You will get a longer lifespan out of it.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Can't we just give the op a unanimous response? Given his two options and assuming price isn't a concern, can anyone honestly recommend the Athlon over the Phenom?

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

If the price isn't a concern, yeah the Phenom is definitely better than the Athlon.

Apologies for straying off topic.

Dannar

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007

Price is a concern. Is the amount of perceived difference between a 45 nm Phenom and a 65 nm Phenom enough to just go for a low cost dual-core for the 4-6 month wait before Deneb's come out?

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

No benchies for the Deneb is out. Whether it's worth the wait or not depends on what you have right now and how urgent you are for a new CPU. Right now phenoms are already pretty cheap already (Althon's are dirthcheap).

@Dannar: are you doing any audio/video editing or compressing, ripping DVDs and/or CDs? Are you doing programming work or database or CAD work or Photoshop? Will this machine be used as a server of some sort? Are you the kind of guy who runs several programs at the same time often? Are you playing Flight Simulator X a lot?

Those are the areas where quads do best. If none of those applies to you, a dual would be enough IMO. It would also save you $100 when you buy it and some electricity later.

Dannar

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007

I do Photoshop work, I rip dvds/cds. I don't do much audio/video editing, but it's not inconceivable that I will do such in the future. I've not considered using it as a server, probably won't happen, but again, not inconceivable. I don't play Flight Simulator X.

If I am gaming, I will only leave necessary programs running in the background.

Gaming is my primary concern for knowing what's going to get the spiffy quality that I want on my monitor (26" Samsung)