I7 920 question~

G

Pretty simple question I guess.. I have a i7 920 C0 which, I never happened to notice because I didn't build the pc that it is used with yet. I know the D0 is better for overclocking from what I hear but what about the C0? What is the limitations on a stable OC? Can I even grasp my hands around the joy known as 4.0ghz+ ? Mainly what I am looking for was a stable 4ghz OC. With a Prolimatech Mega Shadow giving it plenty of cooling. Help me out with this one folks.. If any of you even say 3.8 I guess I would be happy but I am looking for some 4+. thanks~

G

Mainly why I am asking, it's still in the box and I haven't purchased my mobo yet.. which should be done next week.. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 incoming.. just curious what i'm going to be able to do with it or if I should really just try getting rid of it and getting a D0. -_-

G

I mean from what I hear above 3.8 is about useless besides Video-decodes and such. Mainly using my pc for entertainment-gaming and such. Does that have any truth in it? No C0 i7 users around? :p

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I have built many, many systems using the c0 stepping on the deluxe v2, and all have hit 4.0. It will take a little more juice on the voltage than a D0, but it can easily be done. If you leave voltage @ auto it will be around 1.42, try to take it down as far as it will go. Also, if you hit a wall on stability underclocking the memory will help get you a little lower on the voltage as well.