Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 just a few questions

Last response: in Storage
December 23, 2009 10:32:57 AM

Ok this is going to sound very n00by but should the hard drive come with power/SATA connection cables. Also i have a Lite On CD/DVD drive will my PSU have a power cable for it. it didn't come with a cable either so again same question will the motherboard/psu supply cables or will i need to buy them. Also if i need to buy cable what are the cables that i will need to buy

thx 4 yr elp

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 23, 2009 1:15:13 PM

OEM hard drives do not come with cables. Your power supply will have the SATA power cables, just make sure you have enough. They are usually black and thin and if you look at them they have a bunch of little "pins" in them. The other connector for drives is called molex which connect to older drives. These have four large pins that you can easily see. Your motherboard probably came with some SATA drive connectors. If these reach use those to connect your motherboard to your hard drive and CD/DVD drive. If you need cables, just buy any SATA II cables that are long enough to reach your drives. If you do not have enough SATA power cables buy a splitter that will take one connector and make it 2 or 3 or 4. Good luck.
December 23, 2009 6:05:27 PM

I've never seen a Sata-150 data cable so I guess any one passes Sata-300. But not Sata-600 when it eventually comes.

You also find Molex-to-Sata power splitters. Lose one Molex but gain 2 Sata power connectors at once.

eBay of course. Directly from Hong Kong or Shanghai.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 23, 2009 7:11:45 PM

SATA cables are all interchangeable. There's no such thing as a 1.5Gbit cable, or a 6Gbit cable. All SATA cables will work at all SATA speeds.
m
l
December 23, 2009 9:14:50 PM

Sooo will the power supply give me the power cables for CD/DVD drive or not
m
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2009 10:44:19 PM

You have to look and see. We dont know how many connectors you have available or what type of connector your DVD drive needs. There is a good chance that you will have a connector though.
m
l
December 24, 2009 2:09:18 AM

kkk i have found out that they do supply the cables for the CD/DVD drive
thx 4 all yr elp
m
l
!