Hard disk problem

hard500

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
It was my friends Seagate 500gb ST3500418AS hard disk and he has installed vista in it.I asked his hard disk to copy some data.I used his hard disk as my second boot device and my 250gb as the 1st boot device.I connected them both and started the pc.At irst it was detected by the BIOS and i continued then it was loading for more than 10min then i put his 500gb as the 1st boot device and booted it.But it showed the error message Please insert boot media and press continue what shall i do

Solution
Booting from his disk on your mobo will probably fail, as Win was installed on another mobo and loads the disk host drivers for that mobo. Transferring Win Nt4-2k-Xp-V-7 between two mobos is a non-obvious operation.

When booting on your usual disk, a long load time can mean
- Win scans the new disk because the disk contains errors;
- Data transmission between the new disk (or the older) and the mobo is bad, so the host reverted to Pio.
- And a few more...

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
You can try clearing your CMOS on the motherboard. Note this will also set all your bios setting back to default. Then go into the bios and make sure the hard disk priority is set to the one you want to boot from. This has worked for me in my P4 system.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Booting from his disk on your mobo will probably fail, as Win was installed on another mobo and loads the disk host drivers for that mobo. Transferring Win Nt4-2k-Xp-V-7 between two mobos is a non-obvious operation.

When booting on your usual disk, a long load time can mean
- Win scans the new disk because the disk contains errors;
- Data transmission between the new disk (or the older) and the mobo is bad, so the host reverted to Pio.
- And a few more...

Solution